Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Downtown Toronto hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/downtown-toronto-hotels-969959/)

daschmo Mar 10th, 2013 04:22 PM

Downtown Toronto hotels

Arriving at Union Station by rail in mid-June 2013. Searching for great hotel nearby that is centrally located to museums, shopping, symphony and baseball. All I've looked at so far offer comparable amenities. Royal York is my favorite from last trip 15 years ago but current reviews aren't as glowing as my memories.

tomfuller Mar 10th, 2013 07:39 PM

If this is a solo trip consider the HI Hostel at 76 Church St.
http://www.hostellingtoronto.com/2/home.hostel
I have walked with luggage between the hostel and the train station.

BAK Mar 11th, 2013 04:48 AM

Can you give us a sense of mood and style? Big or small? If you liked the Royal York, it seems reasonable to me to go back, EXCEPT there's a lot of construction on the road between the hotel and the train station. May be noisy.

Toronto has some new luxury hotels. Shangri-La, Thomson, Ritz Carleton, Hazelton, new Four Seasons, Trump, all with good but different locations.

daschmo Mar 11th, 2013 06:54 AM

Thank you for commenting on construction noise around the Royal York. As for our style, sister and I are in our mid-50's with diverse and eclectic interests. We both love cultural activities of any genre, art fairs, open air markets, shopping, theater, concerts and eating from unusual menus. I'm a fitness freak and she's a photographer. I'm super picky about quality accomodations..internet access at no additional charge is important. Downtown hotel is paramount as both of like on foot touring.

AndrewDavid Mar 11th, 2013 10:26 AM

i've had good luck staying @ pantages. the suites are bachelor or one br and simply furnished in contemporary style. i often get placed in a suite that overlooks massey hall.

cheers
AndrewDavid

Aramis Mar 13th, 2013 02:41 PM

You get a recommendation for a hostel after stating your favourite previous stay was the Royal York. - lol

daschmo Mar 13th, 2013 07:21 PM

Thanks, but I'll pass on the hostelling suggestion.

Southam Mar 14th, 2013 05:04 AM

Any place within easy walk of Yonge Street, from Bloor Street south to Front Street (where Union Station is) will suit your purposes because the TTC subway offers such good service. I frequently use Priceline's blind bidding to get real price savings in this area, which it considers Downtown North and Downtown South.

OceanBreeze1 Mar 14th, 2013 06:56 PM

The Royal York is not what it was 15 years ago. It is long in the tooth & in dire need of a complete refurb. That said, we stayed there in the past year and although the RY was definitely showing its age, it was not totally bad.(They were really, really late checking us in...that was my main issue). And, the bathrooms are really small (there's no place to put your cosmetics, etc.) I like the RY location a lot. But, next time I may go with one of the other downtown hotels: The Intercontinental is just west of the Royal York. There is a Le Germain that looks interesting. I like the Le Germain in Montreal but have not stayed in the TO Le Germain so can't comment.

OB1

almcd Mar 16th, 2013 07:52 AM

My wife and I have stayed several times at the Strathcona Hotel. It is on Yonge Street across from the Royal York and 200 metres from Union Station. Although not luxurious, it is more than adequate and the price is right. I think they give a discount for those arriving by rail, but that may not happen in June. Worth a try, though.

daschmo Mar 28th, 2013 07:32 AM

I made a reservation at Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Toronto. Any opinions/experiences with this particular hotel?

OceanBreeze1 Mar 28th, 2013 07:47 AM

I have never stayed @ that particular Marriott so can't comment except to say that I think the Marriott Eaton Center is a better location...just south of the Courtyard Marriott.
In your original post you had indicated that you want to be close to Union Station so I am wondering why you have decided to go so far north! There are many hotels that are closer to Union station than The Courtyard Marriott. Just curious.

OB1

Aramis Mar 28th, 2013 12:16 PM

The Courtyard is a whopping 2 km and 4 subway stops from Union and close to most of what they said they wanted to be near; walking distance to the ROM, AGO, Yorkville, etc., is a location that should be questioned.

It's a far more central location than Union Station, right on the subway line, and you will have no problem getting to your desired sites quickly either on foot or by subway.

OceanBreeze1 Mar 29th, 2013 09:45 AM

Aramia,
I was merely commenting that there are many hotels closer to Union Station. You don't have to be so sarcastic & rude. And, I do not understand your comment....did you leave out something when you said "....is a location that should be questioned"? OP daschmo said that she & her sister want to walk everywhere, not take the subway.

OB1

OceanBreeze1 Mar 29th, 2013 09:46 AM

Sorry...typo...Aramis

daschmo Apr 12th, 2013 03:40 PM

So..now I have two reservations and I'll choose between them--at the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown and, more recently, at the Hotel Victoria. Totally different ambiance with each. Both have WIFI at no extra charge. The Victoria lacks in house fitness facility, that is typically a priority for me, but does offer access to a nearby health club. Any thoughts on these choices?

Jamie42 Jun 3rd, 2014 07:49 AM

You have a lot of choices. Toronto has really gone through a face lift especially along Front Street. Off the top of my head I could name the Ritz Carleton, Shangri-La and Thomson, all of which aren't too far from Union Station.

Many of these hotels host some great private events as well. I had gone to one earlier last month with the most amazing catering company in Toronto http://feastyoureyes.ca/menus/.

You'll have a great time, I'm sure of it.