Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Dining in Toronto..what do you know about these? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/dining-in-toronto-what-do-you-know-about-these-480216/)

horatio Oct 13th, 2004 04:05 PM

Dining in Toronto..what do you know about these?

Okay, so we have one of these weekend theatre packages so I know the dining included is not going to be top notch, as a lot of the establishments in the city are...what do you know about big Daddy's. Marcel's, KitKat2, or the Strip HOuse...both atmosphere and quality for the price..thanks

Wallace_and_Gromit Oct 13th, 2004 04:26 PM

For restaurant information (Toronto) you NEED to go here:

http://www.chowhound.com/canada/boar...o/toronto.html

horatio Oct 13th, 2004 05:16 PM

Well I do appreciate the fast response and checked out your website, but don't understand how that can help me decide among my choices??

BAK Oct 13th, 2004 05:26 PM

Re>big Daddy's. Marcel's, KitKat2, or the Strip HOuse..<

Big Daddy's: One friend, and then another friend, have eaten there within the past month. Both were happy. Pne is quite demanding about food, and the other is less of a foodie, but had the gumbo before going to the symphony, and thought it was particularly good, and would go back for that again.

Marcel's -- good, never eaten there, stays in business, has crowds, can't say much more.

KItKat2 (big sign on the front says Club Lucky) Owned by Al Carbone, who pioneered the whole entertainment district concept. I've eaten there fairly often, and know the kitchen can be very good, and Al insists on high quality ingredients. I was there a couple of weeks ago just hanging out with Al, and ended up sort of being a host / doorman. I talked with people at five of the tables, and all enjoyed the atmospher, and all were enjoying their food. Of all these places, this is the one I'd pick.

Strip House: I've never eaten there, but have heard many positive reports from people who have eaten there, or at the other restaurants that share the kitchen.

There are other good restaurants in the packages, too, including the Duncan Street Grill.

I actually do talk to people leaving restaurants, and ask these kinds of questions. I wish I ate in them more, to provide first hand info.

Bottom line: don't know much about Marcel's, but any of the three others are places I'd recommend, and I don't think Marcel's is much of a gamble, either.

Have fun. Don't forget to tip.

BAK

horatio Oct 14th, 2004 01:03 PM

Wow, BAK, thanks an absolute ton...I had a craving for seafood so I thought big Dadyy's would be appropriate but the pictures on the web didn't look that good...someone I know recommended the seafood fondue...I think it will be this place or Kit Katw (Club Lucky) Duncan Street Grill we went to many years ago...at any rate, you are a wealth of information...Thanks, Annemarie

BAK Oct 14th, 2004 01:37 PM

I walked past the Strip House a few minutes ago and stopped and read the signs outside.

There are several $24.99 specials, and if these are the same offerings as the ticket package, they looked good.

You get to pick two course out of three listed, and each course has several options, including roast beef or steak.

Do you have to commit to the restaurant before you can wa;lk around and read the menus and lok in the door? Allthese places are within a 5 minute walk of each other. Big Daddy's has a wonderful outside mural on the wall; there was a German-sounding tourist talking a video of it today.

BAK

MikeT Oct 14th, 2004 01:45 PM

"Well I do appreciate the fast response and checked out your website, but don't understand how that can help me decide among my choices??"

And oddly passive-agressive comment. You wanted information, he provided information.

horatio Oct 14th, 2004 03:21 PM

Do you not have better things to do than read comments on discussion boards and critique them? I had asked specifically about restaurants involved in the theatre package..the first response was speedy, but when I checked it out I could not find comments on the restaurants I needed info on. Bak, once again thank you..yes, the Strip House was recommended but, having checked websites yesterday, inconsistencies were reported. Big Daddy's puts 30.00 towards anything you want on the menu and club Lucky has an assortment of 5 choices...pretty good ones.

Wallace_and_Gromit Oct 14th, 2004 03:44 PM

The website I provided is a forum all about food for people completely dedicated to food.

I just assumed that you would understand that once you looked at it
1. You would find the information on there by doing a simple search
OR
2. You would post the questions again on there.

I appologize for being busy at the time. - I only had a brief moment, but still wanted to help.

This forum is GREAT for travel related questions ... and I admit that BAK is AWESOME (but what if he goes on vacation or has something to do one of these days where he can't get to a computer...)

For food/restaurant related questions, the best bet is to go to Chowhound. Especially because they have a forum just for Toronto. There are comments on just about every restaurant you would even consider - and if you can't find what you want, just post your own question (just like here)
So Horatio, did that answer your question on how that website could have helped you?

horatio Oct 14th, 2004 05:06 PM

Thanks, my frustration was only with MikeT..not with anyone else..it brought back memories of the trolls that used to badger both the people asking and the people helping others on this board. I admit I was in a hurry when I checked out that site...I had just seen a lot of threads but nothing really on my specific locations. I will try it again, thanks.

horatio Oct 14th, 2004 05:11 PM

Okay, I just checked out chowhound.com ...again, not taking a ton of time, but the first page gives a ton of threads, click on the homepage but could not find search..where would this be?

Wallace_and_Gromit Oct 14th, 2004 07:47 PM

Hi Horatio,
Since you always seem to be in a hurry (I can relate) just go ahead and post on there the same question you did here. Within an hour (maybe a little longer) you will have a ton of replies. :)

For future reference, follow this link to a chowhound (for all message boards-not just Toronto) search:

http://www.chowhound.com/main.html

or while on the Toronto forum (http://www.chowhound.com/canada/boar...o/toronto.html) you could hit the Ctrl key + F and type in a search word (it highlights your word whenever it is displayed on the page) This is time consuming though (the search engine is better)

This site is very valuable. I use it whenever I travel and even to find places where I live. Take a look around when you have more time.

BTW, my last post sounded like I was upset with you ... I wasn't really. It is hard to display "tone of voice" when you TYPE. ;)

horatio Oct 15th, 2004 02:50 AM

Exactly, and I wasn't at all upset either when I first posted to you..was just asking how to use that site, thus the 2 question marks..thanks