Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dining at Fairmont Lake Louise or Banff Springs??

Jun 25th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Since rooms at these two hotels are out of our price budget, but we would still like to see them, what would be the best way to explore these two hotels? Should we plan on having lunch or afternoon tea at either or both of them? Are any of the restaurants within the hotels more favorable than others as to views?
Thanks for all your help,
Laurie
Jun 25th, 2008, 12:04 PM
BAK

In two previous lives...

I used to go with my family to the Chateau Lake Louise on weekends and just buy teas and coffees in teh snack bar and then go out front by the lake and sit on benches and enjoy the beverages and the view.

And, higher up the food chain, I used to arrive at Calgary Airport in the Lake afternoon and drive to the Banff Springs towards the sunset and have roast beef in the main dining room, and then return to Calgary and check into my hotel and get ready to work the next day.

My recollection is that the Banff Springs dining room is more spectacular.

Either CLL or BS main dining rooms will be expensive.

Both locations are great.

You could play golf at the Banff Springs in order to experience the mood and feel.

BAK
Jun 25th, 2008, 12:07 PM

At the Chateau Lake Louise there's a restaurant/lounge with large two story windows that overlook the lake. I say restaurant/lounge becuause a number of years ago it was a lounge (spent a nice afternoon having drinks there with a window table), but I believe it was a full fledged restaurant as of 3 years ago. I haven't been there in the last couple of years, so am not sure what it is now. If you call, I'm sure they'll let you know.

You can go into either hotel and look around the lobby and "public" spaces (where the shops are). There's a sign at the Chateau once you're beyond the main lobby that says "Registered Guests Only Beyond This Point", but I've gone beyond it many times.

Jun 25th, 2008, 03:48 PM

Chateau Lake Louise dinning room view is stunning! That's my vote.
Jun 26th, 2008, 07:44 AM

Besides eating - the Banff Springs has tours of the hotel - you could check - you have to book ahead for it.
Jun 26th, 2008, 07:48 AM
LJ

Banff Springs also has amazing dining room...at sunset was esp. wonderful as I recall.
Jun 26th, 2008, 10:08 AM

The two story room with the big windows facing the Lake at Lake Louise Chateau is now a bar with light food (I was just there three weeks ago), and, oddly, it closes at 8 p.m. We couldn't figure out for the life of us why that was. By light food, I mean sandwiches and salads, but not full dinners.