Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Delta Pacific Resort in Richmond, BC - is this a good choice?

Jun 9th, 2001, 08:22 PM
l

Hi,

I booked 3 nights at the Delta Pacific Resort. Is this a nice hotel? Are the room spacious enough for 2 adults and 2 teens? Is it a good location as a base to visit Vancouver, Capilano and Stanley Park? (we have a car)

I appreciate all the information you have on this hotel.

Thanks

Jun 9th, 2001, 09:29 PM
Mark

Hi there. If you're looking to stay outside of Vancouver, but close to it staying in Richmond's a good choice.
Richmond is just south of Vancouver so the drive is more than doable.

The thing to know about Vancouver is that it's pretty much two cities. Imagine Vancouver to be a mitt facing west with a thumb sticking out on the north side of that mitt facing north/northwest. The Vancouver (including Stanley Park) you see in pictures is on that thumb. A good 90% of Vancouver where most of the locals live is on the mitt. Believe me, you'll be spending 99% of your time on the thumb or beyond over Vancouver Harbor and into North Vancouver.

I wish I could offer you info on the Delta Pacific, but I'm not familiar with it. If the Yahoo! travel map is correct, your hotel is located on the east end of Richmond. You'll probably have an easier time taking Hwy 91 west to Hwy 99 north which leads into Granville St. Granville St. will take you through Vancouver proper into the West End section of Vancouver (that's where all the highrise buildings are). Once in the West End, you can cut a left onto Robson or West Georgia St. which will lead you towards Stanley Park and beyond.

The touristy West End of Vancouver (which is the thumb)has public parking available. The one I know of for sure is located on Robson and Bute St. at the entrance to the Blue Horizon Hotel. It's about $8.00 a day Canadian to park there. Puts you pretty much in the center of highend Vancouver.

There's also pay parking at Stanley Park which can be purchased in timed increments (might as well pay for a whole day's parking since there's a lot to see and do there). If you have time, rent a bike on nearby Robson or Denman St. and take a trip around the seawall trail. Loads of fun and great views all around. Also neat is the Vancouver Aquarium.

Another worthwhile trip is Granville Island (which rests between the mitt of Vancouver proper and the thumb). Granville St. by way of Hwy.99 north will lead you over it. There should be signs telling you which way to go off Granville St. It has a great public market and marina with a nice view of the southside of touristy Vancouver. Of course you can park in the thumb, walk a few blocks towards the southside of the thumb facing the mitt and take a 30 second ferry jump to Granville Island. It costs about 2.00 CDN each way to do that.

Capilano is a short trip through Stanley Park, over the Lions Gate Bridge and into the western fringe of North Vancouver. The highlights there are the Capilano Swinging Bridge and the cable ride up Grouse Mountain.

If you have some time, it's also worthwhile to take a trip west from North Vancouver/Capilano onto Hwy.99
towards Squamish/Whistler. The Sea-To-Sky Highway as it's called offers some amazing scenery of the surrounding mountains and of Howe Sound.

In the other direction, Richmond is a short drive south to Tsawassen where the BC Ferry terminal is located. If you're looking to take a side-trip to Victoria, the ferry will take you from Tsawassen to Swartz Bay, which is a 20 minute drive to Victoria. The ferry trip is about an hour and a half ride through beautiful gulf islands. You'll want to arrive at least 45 minutes ahead of the departure time (www.bcferries.bc.ca is a great site for schedules, rates, and reservations).
Victoria is well worth the trip if you can afford the time.

Hope this helps.

Jun 9th, 2001, 09:44 PM
Robyn

Yes!

And definitely MUCH better than the Comfort Inn on Kingsway. Since you have a car, there will be no problem.

I live in Richmond actually. The Delta Pacific Resort is located on the south side of the Oak Street Bridge. Richmond is on the south end of the bridge, Vancouver is on the north side of the Bridge (I guess guess it has a similar relationship to Ottawa and Hull - only divided by a bridge) so technically, it takes you less than a minute to cross into Vancouver. You can take Oak Street (which is one of the main roads leading into downtown) northbound, and take the "City Center" turnoff which will take you over the Granville Street bridge into downtown. This takes approximately 20 minutes, give or take a few minutes. And remember, this is in resedential traffic - not freeway driving. Stanley Park is located downtown, and the Capilano Suspension bridge is a short 10 minute drive north (and across the Lions Gate Bridge) from Stanley Park.

2 weekends ago it was my grandfather's 76th birthday, and the entire family took him out to a wonderful buffet breakfast at the Delta Pacific. Another great restaurant there is Suehiro's a Japanese steakhouse in which theatrical chefs cook the meal at your table. Suehiro's is expensive, but they always have 50% off coupons or 2 for 1 coupons in the Entertainment book, or in the local flyers. The nice thing about Suehiro's (as opposed to its downtown rival Kobe Steakhouse) is that it has a beautiful Japanese garden and an authentic Japanese feel the building.

But enough on that. The hotel looked great when I was there 2 weeks ago.

Jun 10th, 2001, 12:13 AM
l

Thanks, I will cancel the comfort Inn and keep this reservation at the Delta Pacific

I got a really good deal (actually comes out cheaper then the Comfort Inn)so I'm really happy it turns out to be a good choice

Jun 10th, 2001, 09:39 PM
Bonnie

I would recommend another route to take from the Delta Pacific. Head over the Oak Street Bridge but take Marine Drive to Cambie (I'm pretty sure there is an exit but if not go to 70th or 57th and take that to Cambie.) Cambie will take you right downtown past Queen Elizabeth Park, past the City Hall, past Yaletown, GM Place, the Science Centre and on to Stanley Park and North & West Vancouver.

Jun 10th, 2001, 10:29 PM
Robyn

I agree with Bonnie - Cambie's a much more scenic drive than Oak Street (in my opinion) because of the "Heritage Boulevard" status it has - there's nice lush greenery dividing the left/right lanes, and when you come over the last big hill around Queen Elizabeth park, you get an awesome view of the city skyline and mountains. (BTW - Cambie Street runs parallel to Oak)

l_binette - if you haven't already, invest in a mapbook of Greater Vancouver. My dad just bought one called "Deluxe Street Atlas of Greater Vancouver & Fraser Valley" - created by MapArt - www.mapart.com
You'll find it a lot easier to get around this way

Jun 11th, 2001, 10:28 AM
L

Thanks to all, I will make sure to get good city maps for Vancouver & Victoria