Deer Park Lodge in Banff?

May 25th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Original Poster
Deer Park Lodge in Banff?

We are considering booking a room at Deer Park Lodge in Banff. Has anyone any experience with this property? We are looking at spending around 200 Canadaian a night if anyone has any other suggestions.
May 25th, 2004, 07:29 PM
I've stayed in Deer Lodge at Lake Louise, and liked it. It's a quaint, charming, clean, friendly hotel. It also has an excellent dining room.

During the summer, when the high season rates are in effect, the only rooms that fit into your specified price range are the Lodge Rooms, which are very small.

The Tower Rooms are a better size, although still a little snug, and the Heritage Rooms are the most spacious. But both of those categories cost more than C$200.

Lake Louise is an excellent place in which to stay because it's so centrally located within the mountains. But it's a small village that's in high demand, so the prices are outrageous, at least I think they are.

You'd have a bigger selection of accommodations in your price range in Banff townsite and Canmore.

The same company that owns Deer Lodge at Lake Louise owns another charming hotel, Buffalo Mountain Lodge, on the outskirts of Banff townsite. I've never stayed there myself, but BML has received many favourable reviews here at Fodors. BML's cheaper rooms, the photos of which look nice to me, would fit into your price range.

There are many self-catering apartments, hotels and a few inns in Canmore, 20 minutes' drive east of Banff townsite. Two smaller inns that I like, and that are well within your price range, are Lady Macdonald Country Inn and Georgetown Inn.

Be warned, some hotels in the mountains require a minimum stay of one or two nights during the summer season.

Hope this helps.
May 25th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Another warning about the smaller inns and even a hotel the size of Buffalo Mountain Lodge is that some of them have 48 hour or 72 hour cancellation policies, so do read the fine print.

Search this Thread