Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > daytrip from Lunenburg to see tides?
Notices

daytrip from Lunenburg to see tides?

Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

daytrip from Lunenburg to see tides?

Hello all -
I have read many a post about the amazing tides on the Bay of Fundy, as well as several posts talking about the wonders of Lunenburg; thanks for all the information already! I wrote down all your suggestions about things to do/see/eat in Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, and Peggy's Cove, and I've checked the tide schedule for the dates we'll be there.

Here is my question: we will have 3 full days (not counting travel days) in Lunenburg around the beginning of September; is it feasible to take one of those days to go to the west side of Nova Scotia and see some of this intriguing tide action? I've seen suggestions for Wolfville, Hall's Harbor, Grand Pre, Margaretsville - is there any one in particular that stands out as the best experience, or the most easily reached from Lunenburg? We are willing to drive 2, maybe 3 hours each way if this is as awesome as everyone makes it sound!

Thanks again for all the help you've already provided -
M
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:18 PM

Yes, it is feasible. From Lunenburg you can drive to Highway #12 through New Ross to Kentville (about an hour) and from Kentville drive to Hall's Harbour (approx. 30 minutes or less.) At Hall's Harbour you can enjoy a lobster lunch as well as see either low tide or high tide depending on the times. OR you can drive via Wolfville directly to Grand Pre, about 20 minutes from Kentville, down to Evangeline Beach which gives you a wonderful view and a wider scope of the Bay of Fundy. You can do both if you like, and for a change of scenery on your return, you can drive from Grand Pre to Windsor (approximately 20 minutes). Outside of Windsor you connect to Highway 14 which takes you to Chester (35 minutes from Windsor to Chester). From Chester you go along Highway 3, the Lighthouse Route, to Lunenburg. Nice day trip.

Search this Thread