Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Day Trips/tours companies that depart from Banff

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A relative of mine has recently emigrated to canada, and has invited me to stay with her for a week or two in banff, however as she will be at work in the day times, i am looking to see if any one knows of good reputable tour companies i can book day trips with (my relative has only been out there for a couple of months and has not used any of the tour companies herself)
Also do these day trips get full quickly or will i be ok to book when i go to canada (i will be there for a couple of weeks at somepoint between middle september and middle october)
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Discover Banff Tours is a good company to use for day trips.

At that time of year you do not need to book much in advance.

Be warned that the side roads to some scenic attractions can start shutting down for the winter any time from the beginning of October onwards.

Some tourist amenities (the Ice Explorer ride onto the Athabasca Glacier at the Columbia Icefields, for example) close after Canadian Thanksgiving (second Monday in October).

The autumn colours peak in the Lake Louise area in the second half of September and in the Jasper area in the first week of October.

The predominant tree species in the alpine forests are evergreens.

However, at lower elevations (relatively speaking) there are poplar (aspen) trees, and at higher elevations in the Banff / Lake Louise / Yoho area there are larch trees.

Larches are unusual in that they LOOK like coniferous trees (they have needle-shaped leaves), but they actually are deciduous trees that turn a beautiful golden colour and then drop their needles.

The autumn colours in the Canadian Rockies are golds and yellows rather than the spectacular reds and oranges that one find in the eastern half of the continent. The Rockies nonetheless look very pretty in autumn.

A spectacular hike is autumn is the one to Sunshine Meadows. It gives you fabulous views of larch trees. However, you have to catch a bus to get there. Make enquiries about that when you reach Banff. You do not have to book the Sunshine Meadows bus much in advance.

If you can afford to venture beyond your friend's accommodation, you could look into going to Jasper for a night or two with Moose Travel Network. Moose is a company that operates hop-on / hop-off buses for travellers who are young or young-at-heart. Most of Moose's passengers stay at hostels, but you don't have to stay at hostels if you travel with Moose.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

thankyou everyone for the assistance, i appreciate it
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Hello, check the Brewster website for day trips.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone, i am definatly going, booked the flights today so will be there from 30th september - 12th october, cant wait!!

i was wondering if people can answer another question - how easy is it to get around the area using public transport(tours/busses taxes etc) as i dont think i will be getting a hire car while i am away
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 09:01 AM

Anna, The town of Banff isn't that big, so you could wander around on your own.

If you wanted to go further afield, check out www.greyhound.ca
You could go to Calgary or check out other towns nearby.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

thanks kodi for the info
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 04:35 AM

Anna, I've taken the Greyhound bus from Banff to Calgary. It's the cheapest way to get around.
Good luck and have a wonderful time.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the messages, really looking forward to going, only a few days now
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:07 AM

While staying in Banff, a cousin and I took 3 or four Brewster tours and enjoyed them all.