Reload this Page >

Day Trip to Whistler from Vancouver!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Ana

I need help planning a day trip with my husband to Whistler from Vancouver by car: places to see along the way and to eat (lunch and dinner). We'd leave Vancouver around 8 am and try to be back at our hotel around 11 pm. How're the driving conditions at night? Should we allow more than 3 hours each way? Is it feasible and enjoyable? It'll be our first time both in Vancouver and Whistler. I've heard the drive is absolutely gorgeous - again, is it too tiring for a day trip though? Should we go all the way up to Whistler or return before we get there? I've heard Shannon Falls is a must see. Any other suggestions? We don't mind driving and we just love exploring new places on our own, specially being in the outdoors, but we don't want to push it and be exhausted by the end of the day. We don't need to be involved in any activities just to be surrounded by NATURE is enough. Some "quite time" is certainly important sometimes... Is this a good day trip for us? <BR><BR>Thanks so much for your help!<BR><BR>Ana<BR><BR>

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:02 PM
darlene

I've done the trip up and down many times in one day, definitely go all the way, but you will probably regret not being able to stay longer. Stop at Brandywine falls also, a short walk to a beautiful hanging valley waterfall (a different type of waterfall than Shannon Falls, which is also great). With those stops, you should get there in 3 hours easily and have lunch in Whistler. Then spend your time in Whistler, take a trip up the tram to the top of the mountain, walk the Valley Trail, walk around Lost Lake, wander through town, have dinner then head back. The road is OK in the dark, is faster returning - 2 hours plus a bit - than going up because you're going down hill more than up. The worst part of the drive is the people going very fast - those who drive the road often and are in a big hurry, and don't care about the view. Just pull over for them and enjoy your ride if you are on the section of the road that is 1 lane each way.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Ana

Thanks, Darlene! I'll take your advice. It sounds like a wonderful day trip!<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Ana

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 01:25 PM
sue

FYI - Shannon Falls rated 5th highest waterfall in the world.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Fact Finder

"Shannon Falls rated 5th highest waterfall in the world."?<BR><BR>Sorry-not even close-it doesn't even make the top twenty and I doubt it would make the top 500.<BR><BR>For proof go to <BR><BR>http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0001781.html<BR><BR>All in all Shannon Falls is somewhat underwhelming and has the makings of a tourist trap complete with tour busses full of grossly fat people in double-knit polyster clothing.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Faina

I don't care it Shannon Falls is 5th<BR>or 500th, still great!!! Definitely worth stopping by.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:13 PM
g mitchell

On 7/11 Fact Finder stated <BR>Message: "Shannon Falls rated 5th highest waterfall in the world."?<BR><BR>Sorry-not even close-it doesn't even make the top twenty and I doubt it would make the top 500.<BR>-------------------------------------<BR>For your information "Fact Finder" Della Falls in Strathcona Park on Vancouver Island at 445m is Canada's highest and the 6th highest waterfall in the world and your source doesn't even mention it in the top 20 list. Shannon Falls at 1150 ft is the third highest in BC and, in fact, the 20th highest in the world but again, not mentiooned in your source --so much for "Fact Finding". <BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:26 PM
g mitchell

And for Ana, Brandywine Falls, about 15 minutes before Whistler, at Brandywine Provincial Park, is higher than Niagara falls by about 55 feet but not nearly the volume of water --still quite impressive and worth a visit.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 06:06 PM
sue

wow! sorry "factfinder", didn't mean to hit a nerve. i just read this info in a guidebook when i stayed at a hotel a few weeks ago in whistler.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Lynn

Always has to be one smart*** in the bunch with nothing better to do---&gt;Fact Finder

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Ana

Thanks everyone for your help! I'll stop at Shannon Falls regardless . And I'll also stop at the Brandwyine Falls (thanks for the tip, G. Mitchell).<BR><BR>Regards, Ana