Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Current Weather Conditions, Banff/Jasper areas (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/current-weather-conditions-banff-jasper-areas-716211/)

Tasha440 Jun 26th, 2007 11:19 AM

Current Weather Conditions, Banff/Jasper areas

Question for 'Happy Traveling', or anyone else currently in the Lake Louise/Banff/Jasper areas, how is the weather recently? We're packing right now and need to take out some things as the suitcases are too full!! Are you wearing more shorts/warm weather type clothes or is it cool enough for pants most days? Thanks!

Judy_in_Calgary Jun 26th, 2007 12:40 PM

In the last few days Calgary's weather has been all over the map, and I'm sure the same has been true for Banff.

The weather forecast is showing a predicted high of 70 deg F for Banff today (Tuesday, June 26th). Tonight's low is supposed to be 36 deg F (yes, as in 3 deg C).

Wed 27th is supposed to be sunny and 76 deg F.

Thu 28th is supposed to be partly cloudy with a high of 80 deg F and a low of 44 deg F.

Fri 29th is supposed to be partly cloudy with a high of 74 deg F and a low of 50 deg F.

Sat 30th high of 58 deg F and low of 42 deg F.

Make of that what you will. Weather forecasts for the mountains are notoriously unpredictable, and they are not worth the paper they are written on.

The best thing to do is to pack clothing that lends itself to layering. For example, on a hot day a T-shirt can be a stand-alone garment. On a cooler day, you can wear the same T-shirt under other layers and consider it to be "underwear."

Many folks who travel in the mountains wear pants (trousers) with zip-on / zip-off legs, as they are very versatile.

One thing that makes things a little easier is that all mountain restaurants are casual at lunch time. When I say they're casual, I mean that patrons wear hiking gear, including hiking boots, into restaurants.

The same thing is true of moderately priced restaurants at dinnertime. However, upscale restaurants move up a notch to smart casual in the evenings.

I recommend that you wear your heaviest shoes (your hiking boots or whatever) onto the plane and carry your outer jacket over your arm. That will save a certain amount of space in your luggage.

HappyTraveling Jun 28th, 2007 10:23 AM

We're in Fields, YOHO NP right now ie 30 mins east of Lake Louise. The weather in the last week has been unstable. We've had rain, clouds and sun. I had packed in a few woolen sweaters, but those have been unnecessary.

The mornings and evenings are usually cool to chilly. We never leave without our fleece jackets.

What we do is:
- start the day in our jeans and t-shirt with a fleece jacket.
- pack capri shorts in our backpack to dress down if it gets warm. (My husband has a pair of pants which can be zipped off into shorts). Ideal for this unstable weather.

It would also be ok to go in your capris and shorts but with a fleece jacket.

p.s. there are laundromats in most places. We've used the laundromats twice so far since June 17th. And as usual, I've packed way more than was needed. *I never learn*

We leave the Canadian Rockies tomorrow. We've loved the 10 days we've been here. I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as we have.

HappyTraveling Jun 28th, 2007 10:29 AM

Judy_in_Calgary always comes with great advice. I didnt read her posting before I posted. (Am in a slight hurry to go canoeing in Emerald Lake, you see)

WHat I should have posted is "I SO AGREE WITH JUDY"....*smiles*

ok....i got to get out now to the (emerald) lake. it's soooo beautiful out here.

Tasha440 Jun 28th, 2007 01:39 PM

Thanks Judy and HappyTraveling-got plenty of tshirts and fleece jackets all packed...and a few bottles of bug spray!!
I've been reading your recent posts, and we have a very similar trip planned. I'm also planning to canoe on Emerald Lake, although the one and only time I ever canoed, I ended up in the lake...
Hope you enjoy your last day!!

icithecat Jun 28th, 2007 07:08 PM

For a five day forecast, click here.
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/canada_e.html