Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > Cruising into Sydney, renting a car
Notices

Cruising into Sydney, renting a car

Sep 2nd, 2013, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Cruising into Sydney, renting a car

We will have about 6 hours to drive our rental car to tour the area. It seems like we could go from Sydney to Ingonish area along Cabot trail, return along the same route back to Baddeck and then back to Sydney. My thinking is we could see some of the trail area and Baddeck sites and make it back to the ship in time. Any thoughts - is this a good plan or is there something better in 6 hours?
Sep 2nd, 2013, 07:53 PM

According to Google maps that's a total of 3 hours driving time , minimum, and doesn't take traffic problems or weather into consideration. If you aim for Baddeck you could do the Bell museum and see a little of the town ( a bit touristy but charming ) and not have to be in a mad rush to get back to the ship. The Cabot trail is magnificent but really to do it justice you need a full day for the whole loop, and a sunny one at that, as in the fog the driving is challenging and the views non existent.
Sep 2nd, 2013, 08:57 PM

Golden,
I like your plan to do Sydney/Ingonish & back to Sydney. It's definitely doable in 6 hours.

Eliz is correct that you need a full day to do the entire Cabot Trail. As I understand your situation, you are not contemplating the full loop. You are considering a partial loop: Sydney/Ingonish. Then turn around & go back to Sydney from Ingonish to catch your cruise ship in Sydney Harbour.

If you do your partial loop, Sydney/Ingonish, you will be touring The Trail in a counter-clockwise direction which is my preferred way to go.

Consider having lunch @ Keltic Lodge in Ingonish. Keltic Lodge is a beautiful hotel situated on a peninsula that juts out into the Atlantic.

When are you going to be in Cape Breton?

OB1

Search this Thread