Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Crossing the Border without a passport (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/crossing-the-border-without-a-passport-556737/)

mlm59 Sep 6th, 2005 04:48 PM

Crossing the Border without a passport

We will be driving from Buffalo to Toronto week after next. I have read that we should have 2 pieces of ID. Since I am going to Europe next year I went ahead and applied for a passport in mid July. I just received a notice today that my passport has been delayed due to Katrina. Apparently passport applications from my state are processed in New Orleans.

Can anyone advise me as to what other type of ID I should carry? I have a birth certificate, but it doesn't match my married name on my photo ID. My daughter should be okay - she has never been married. I don't want to run into any hassles when we return to the US.

ronkala Sep 6th, 2005 06:48 PM

Your birth certificate and drivers license will be sufficient or something else to use as a photo I.D. It is not a problem having your maiden name on the BC.

We just crossed into Canada and back in August with no problem.

MIWinnie Sep 7th, 2005 03:20 AM

If you are really concerned about this, bring your marriage license along with your birth certificate and driver's license. The latter two are a must without a passport.

michi Sep 7th, 2005 06:41 AM

I agree with the last post. Here is the official website for visitors entering Canada.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/...rc4161-03e.pdf

You do not need a passport if coming from the United States, however IDENTIFICATION OF CITIZENSHIP is the key word. A driver's licence with a photo (or other similar identification) does not qualify as proof of citizenship -- they are supporting evidence. When entering the US from Canada, a driver's licence + other photo ID has not been acceptable in place of proof of citzenship.

It's imporant to remember that different people have different experiences so go prepared as suggested. Take your old passport and letter advising you of the holdup if you do not have any other proof of citizenship (since your birth certificate may be with your application). Take your marriage ceritificate and two pieces of photo ID. Don't go unprepared and be disappointed.

NorthwestMale Sep 13th, 2005 04:40 PM

Just adding to this thread FOR THE FUTURE:

Effective in 2008 a passport will be REQUIRED for travel by U.S. Citizens to and from Canada.

That is two-thousand-EIGHT

mitchdesj Sep 14th, 2005 07:50 AM

I stood next to an american trying to enter the U.S. with no passport, a driver's license only means you can drive in the U.S. ; bring more I.D. than less. She had tons of photo I.D. but no birth certificate.

I agree with above poster to bring passport application and the notice you received.
Birth and marriage certificate also.

Even though the law is not in place yet, they are strict. It's up to you to prove your citizenship; that's what the officer was telling this woman.

northwest, the problem I witnessed was an american returning to the U.S.
It was the week preceeding 9/11 so I don't know if they were being stricter.

NorthwestMale Oct 11th, 2005 12:13 PM

For Clarity:

Nothing that I said discounted the present reality that U.S. border guards presently want a BIRTH CERTIFICATE or other proof of citizenship for entry into the U.S.

On the Canadian side, they ask for same mainly because of the troubles you will incur if later stranded in Canada when trying to return.

SO, for all U.S.-from-Canada travel now through (lets say) 12/31/2007, a birth certificate or any proof of citizenship is required.

Once the clock strikes 2008 then a PASSPORT shall be required for all U.S. Citizens traveling to and from Canada.

mlm59 Oct 11th, 2005 05:45 PM

We returned from our trip to Niagara Falls and Toronto a couple of weeks ago. We both drove and walked across the border. Nothing was ever required except our driver's license, although we were prepared and had other documents with us.