Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Connecticut to Ottawa route (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/connecticut-to-ottawa-route-344206/)

Just_Joan Aug 3rd, 2003 02:56 PM

Connecticut to Ottawa route

We're planning to drive from Tolland, CT to Ottawa and are a bit confused because the directions from Mapquest are different from those we got from Allstate Motor Club. We don't know which ones to trust!

We'd appreciate any advice from someone who has taken a similar trip. What would you say is the most reliable source for directions? Thank you!

Sherry Aug 4th, 2003 06:05 AM

Joan,
Not knowing what the motor club gave you, I would say that the best route would be to go across New York, up the 81 at Syracuse, right on up to the border and then the 401 to the 416 into Ottawa. What was the alternative route you got?

TravelMaster Aug 4th, 2003 07:15 PM

Joan:

I live in Ottawa and for a year I worked in Southbury CT, I'd take I-84/90 to Utica then a 'cross-country' route (12/812) to Ogdensburg & finally 16/416 to Ottawa (cut more than an hour off going to I-81 at Syracuse, roads are more 'confusing' but your not backtracking).

However, for Tolland taking I-91 (&/or switching to I-89 in VT, haven't done the trip but looks a little shorted but staying on I-91 looks like a better road) and going via Montreal (as you get to the border all the signs will point to Montreal) may be the more appropriate (Ottawa is ~120mi past Montreal on 20/40/417).

Hope this helps.

Z

dianeg Aug 5th, 2003 08:20 AM

Having driven all three approaches to the Canadian border proposed above:

I would recommed the first option (81/401/416) as the most direct, sometimes with "medium" hassle/wait for the border crossing.

My preferred option is the second routing proposed (through Ogdensburg & the 416) - not difficult with a map and much easier border crossing (no wait!).

The very last option that I'd recommend is going through Montreal - traffic through Montreal is a pain and the best routing is indirect (Mercier Bridge/20/13/40). There is often a "medium" hassle/wait for the border crossing.

Just_Joan Aug 5th, 2003 09:01 AM

Thank you to all who responded - it's helpful to hear from those who have actually driven these routes.

TravelMaster Aug 6th, 2003 09:06 AM

Joan:

I did a quick check of the map & Diane's comments about ignoring the route via Montreal is correct. Since I'm "locationally challenged" my perception of distance & direction is sometimes questionable. The Syracuse route is shorter & less traffic, for some reason I'd assumed Hartford/Tolland to Ottawa via Montreal was significantly shorter but that proved to be wrong.

The Utica/Ogdensburg route is shorter still but not 'highway' roads, I used to take that route though since I was working in the US & living in Canada I would stop in Ogdensburg either going down/coming back to do my banking & pickup mail (while I had all of the work visas & was paying all of the txes, its difficult to get a paychecque direct deposited cross-border or get a US $$ credit card for a Canadian address, I had a PO box at Mailboxes etc & an account with the bank in the mall at the border).

Z