Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Confused about base for Cape Breton (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/confused-about-base-for-cape-breton-1659516/)

TNTraveler Oct 23rd, 2018 12:29 PM

Confused about base for Cape Breton

I've been reading until I am bleary eyed and only have made myself more confused! Trying to decide where to base to see both sides of Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail. We will do some light hiking but nothing to strenuous with bad knees and young grandkids with us. Should we base in Baddeck and go up one side and drive that part of the Cabot Trail and another day go up the other side? Or should we base in either Cheiticamp or Pleasant Bay and explore that side then drive to Ingonish and stay over there for a couple days? What makes the most sense? I think we will have 3 or 4 days total in the area before heading back to fly out of Halifax. Ideally we would like to stay somewhere looking over the water with a fun town nearby.
Thanks for any help!

wanderingcanadian Oct 31st, 2018 05:29 AM

Baddeck is very pleasant, and overlooks water, not so sure where you will find a fun town, you can easily drive the Cabot Trail in both directions from Baddeck, don't miss Louisburg

NorthwestMale Nov 1st, 2018 07:26 PM

I always endorse Baddeck here as an ideal base for Cape Breton. I stayed there in June, and came away still endorsing Baddeck.

I dined at the "Yellow Cello" while in town, and would do so again.

Though if readying for 3 nights on Cape Breton maybe I would do 2 in Baddeck with the Cabot Trail in between them, and then a 3rd in Sydney.

It is always sensible to have the option of a 2nd day, in case fog or general gloom greatly reduces the appeal to the Cabot Trail on the day you're targeting.

Upon awakening in Sydney you could either go toward Louisbourg, and then work your way back south toward Halifax, or make a more direct (if not exactly expeditious) path to the south.

IF the Cabot Trail goes efficiently on the intended day, then you awaken in Baddeck for a trip of about one hour to Sydney.

Hope this helps.

jenny1234 Nov 29th, 2018 03:36 PM

I stayed at Margaree Harbour for 2 nights in an inn that faces the water. We hiked the Cabot trail the next day and explored the surrounding towns.
The next day we drove up to Neil’s harbour and had excellent seafood chowder at chowder house and spend 2 nights in Ingonish. The kids can have fun at Ingonish beach.
Both Margaree Harbour and ingonish are close to some of the best restaurants in cape breton.
Cape Breton is a small place and everything is within driving distance. No matter where you stay, you will still have fun. So do not worry too much.

billirandall Nov 29th, 2018 05:42 PM

The town of Baddeck is another great base for a stay in Cape Breton Island and is considered the beginning and end of the Cabot Trail. Set on the shores of St Patricks Channel (part of the salt-water Bras d’Or Lake system), this charming town has plenty of inviting eateries to dine in and is surrounded by natural beauty. History buffs won’t want to miss the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site (formerly the inventor’s summer home). For some evening entertainment catch a Celidh played by local Baddeck musicians.

For a stay amidst the untouched natural beauty of this destination, Ingonish is just the spot, with its picturesque beach and close proximity to Cape Breton Highlands National Park.