Reload this Page >

kids in Canadian Rockies

Search

kids in Canadian Rockies

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 07:28 PM
Susan

kids in Canadian Rockies

We are bringing our 10 and 12 year olds to the Rockies in Aug.for a week. I thought Waterton, Glacier, and other west-Rockies sites would be better and quieter but y'all are making Banff/Jasper sound fantastic. We didn't want to spend a lot of time in the car. What do you think? West or East? Does anyone know anything about Mulvehil Inn or Alpine Meadows Lodge?

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 12:53 PM
dnorrie

I love Waterton as it is quieter than Banff/Jasper. Although I live close to both sites, I would pick Waterton to avoid the huge tourist trade and you could also drive through the "Pass" <BR> and visit the Frank Slide, Lundbreck Falls, the Gap. All beautiful areas there are often missed by tourists. Waterton is so close to Glacier that you could stay there and drive the "Going to the Sun Highway" and back. If you are from the States, your dollar is worth so much here that you will find it not at all expensive. <BR> <BR>Waterton has a web page - www.waterton.com or visit www.discoveralberta.com. <BR> <BR>I am not a fan of Banff anymore as it is overrun with visitors and so crowded but the "Pass" is wonderful. And if you drive there, you are so close to the Kananaskis which (in my humble opinion) is far more beautiful than Banff. <BR> <BR>I realize that there are some great sites in Banff and Jasper (just haven't visited them in many years) but you must be prepared to "brave" the traffic. <BR> <BR>Have fun and welcome to Canada

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 12:57 PM
dnorrie

Actually, I don't think it is www.waterton.com but you can research waterton just by searching on the web. Good luck.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Susan

Thanks for the feedback. How 'bout the Glacier Park in Canada and the Revelstoke area. Is it too far for day trips to the ice fields and Maligne Lake? What is the Gap, the "pass", and Frank Slide?

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 06:22 PM
dnorrie

Glacier and Waterton are very close - it is called the international peace park. We don't have glacier in Canada but Waterton is part of that park. To get to Banff (Malign Lake) is a fairly long drive. You could get there in a day but you would not want to drive back to Waterton. <BR> <BR>The "Gap" is a road off Highway 22 from Highway 1 to Calgary. It takes you through the Kananaskis. But even if you just travel Highway 22 to Calgary, it is lovely. There isn't a lot there in terms of towns, just great scenery. The Frank Slide area is just before you turn off Hwy 1 to Hwy 22 and is a great historic site and I am sure you kids would really enjoy the visit. It happened about 80 years ago and the face of one of the big mtns. (Turtle Mtn) in the Rockies just fell away and engulfed the valley and the town of Frank. I think it is awesome. They have a wonderful interpretive centre. Closer to Lethbridge (Ft. Macleod) is the Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump Interpretive Centre which is also very well done and in Ft. Macleod, on weekends, you can observe the RCMP Musical Ride. All things that younger people (and older too) would enjoy. <BR> <BR>If you go to the Frank Slide, don't miss a stop for 30 minutes at the Lundbreck Falls just to relax. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps and welcome to Canada.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 06:34 PM
Susan

Sounds great! Thanks so much for the info. Its helped a lot. So far the prelim. plan is to get into Calgary early and go right to the Post for dinner and one or two nights. Do the ice fields then stay in Revelstoke for 2-3 nights and visit Yoho etc. Then travel down to Waterton for a couple of nights and back up to Calgary. If you ever need info on Virginia, let me know.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 06:43 PM
dnorrie

Thanks Susan - I hope you have a wonderful trip and welcome to Alberta. <BR> <BR>If you need extra help feel free to email me or even phone (403-381-2960). <BR> <BR>I am sure you will enjoy your trip here. <BR> <BR>Good luck! - Denise

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 06:48 PM
dnorrie

Just as an added thought, don't forget Drumheller - you may not have time but I would rather spend time there than Calgary. Calgary is just another city (albeit nice) but Drum is the foremost centre for paleontology in N. Am. And you can view the badlands. It would be hot in August but oh well! Your kids would love the museum and you can visit sites where the are actually un-earthing dinasour bones. Visit their web page - just browse for drumheller. You can also browse for waterton and find a lot of info about places to stay there. I like the Killmory or Waterton Glacier Suites.

Old May 4th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Born & Raised in Calgary

Calgary Zoo would be great for the kids if you're here for a couple of days. Enjoy!

Old May 4th, 2001, 05:53 PM
Brian

Glacier National Park is beautiful, but a word of warning. About 3 years ago we stayed at the only hotel within the park. The accommodations were fine, but the restaurant had the worst, most unappetizing meal I have ever eaten. <BR> <BR>Be forewarned. <BR>Otherwise I loved my trip entirely. <BR>

Old May 5th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Bob Brown

After reading over your plans and the advice you have received, I would like to add a couple of comments. <BR>First, the drive along the Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper is incredible. Having done the Sun Road in Glacier many times over the years, I agree with those who say it is beautiful. <BR>But, the Icefields Parkway is the longest strecth of eye popping scenery in North America south of Alaska that you can view from the highway. <BR>At the Icefields Center you can take a special coach onto the ice itself. <BR>We did it once, and that was sufficient to satisfy us. <BR>In Jasper itself, there are several good places to visit. I had much rather visit Jasper than to spend time at Mt. Revelstoke. I really do not think the two compare. <BR>In the Canadian Glacier National Park, which is between Lake Louise and Revelstoke on the Trans Canada, there is a good view from the highway, but to really see ice, you must take to the trails and walk a good distance. <BR>The big glacier that used to be visible from the visitor center (I cannot spell the name without help.) has retreated so far that you cannot see it from the viewpoint. What you see that many people think is ice is not. It is the bare rock left behind by the retreating glacier. I know, because I walked out that far one day to see the "ice". You can imagine my disappointment when I found that what I was looking at was bare rock. <BR> <BR>As for Drumheller and the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology, it is first class. If your children have any interest at all in life on this planet as it evolved over the last 600,000,000 years, it is the place to be. There is a good virtual tour of the museum on the web. <BR>In a weeks time, you will not be able to do most of the adventures mentioned in earlier posts. There is simply not time. <BR>You will either do the US Glacier - Waterton Swing, or you will do the Banff - Jasper leg of the trip. Otherwise you will spend a lot of time in the car. <BR> <BR>If I had to choose between them knowing what I do now after some 8 visits out there over the years, I personally would select the Lake Louise to Jasper part. <BR> <BR>Don't forget about Yoho National Park which is on the other side of the Great Divide from Banff and shares a common border. Takkakaw Falls are there and they are spectacular. Also Emerald Lake is a small jewel to look at. <BR>The most spectacular parts of Yoho, however, are reserved for the hikers who journey into the back country. I will treasure always my views from the Whaleback Trail, but it is quite a walk from the trailhead. <BR>Given your schedule, I would not waste time on Revelstoke. You have much better alternatives much closer to you.