Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Coming via Fast Ferry for Toronto day-trip: Need restaurant near Ontario Place or ferry terminal

Search

Coming via Fast Ferry for Toronto day-trip: Need restaurant near Ontario Place or ferry terminal

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are coming to Toronto this weekend (Sunday) via the Rochester Fast Ferry for a day trip. We should get into Toronto's ferry dock around 9:30am. We will be heading over to Ontario Place to see the 1pm Cirque du Soleil show, which will end around 3:30.

We will not have our car, and will use public transporation, taxis or will walk.

Can anyone recommend restaurants either near the ferry terminal or Ontario Place (or someplace on the route in-between) for a quick, casual late breakfast/brunch (open around 10am) and for after the show, a quick casual meal (around 4pm).

The ferry leaves Toronto at 7pm to return to Rochester, so we need to be back at the ferry terminal by 6:15-6:30pm. Thanks!
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 12:41 PM
BAK

First, there's nothing near the ferry terminal that serves anything I'd consume othr than Coke from a bottle if I opened it myself.

And you're pretty much out of luck at the Cirque tent,unless there's something there I've never noticed.

Which leaves you about 100 good places in between.

And Sunday's a pretty dull day in Toronto.

Try this to keep amused and get fed well.

Taxi or maybe a city bus from the ferry docks to The Distillery District.

Try www.thedistillerydistrict.com

No one can figure out the buses in that part of town.

You can wander around and get lunch, and then head for Ontario Place, perferably by cab.

After teh circus, I suggest you head for the entertainment district. You could figure out how to do this by bus; lots of transit from Ontario Place, or, easier, take a cab to Spadina and Queen Street.

Walk east toward the giant downtown buildings for a couple of blocks, to John Stret. Second Cup, Starbucks, and CITYTV are on three of the corners. Turn right / south and walk down, looking at the three restaurants with patios just past the giant book store.

Pick one of these, or continue another block and a half to King Street WEst. You'll see another dozen restaurants.

Pick one, eat, take a cab back to the ferry dock.

If it was me and a nice afternoon, I'd pick Frisco's Brasserie because the sun shines on the patio the best.

BAK
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Do you know what are the closest streets to the ferry dock. I'm looking at The Distillery District maps and wondering if the ferry dock is close to Cherry Street, since the #172 Cherry bus goes right to the Distillery ... although we may be better off with a cab on a Sunday morning?
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 05:18 PM
BAK

Cherry Street runs down what we think of as "the back" of the Distillery District.

The problem with the public transit is that I don't know what routes run what days.

It's possible the Toronto Transit Commission sends a bus to each arrival.

BAK
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 08:33 PM

Cirque du Soleil was amazing...

I would recommend breakfast at Cora's
- take a cab to 277 Wellington St West.
You can then do some walking around the King Street area.

If you feel inclined to walk from Cora's, walk down King west to Strachan, walk south to Lakeshore Blvd and the trail which follows the waterfront which will take you to the Cirque du Soleil entrance. Pick up some water at a store - it costs $3 at the show...

You will have about 2 hours to kill after the show. The Distillery is a good destination - there is a taxi queue to take you to the ferry Terminal from here.

To get there by TTC from Exhibition place, walk back up Strachan to the steetcar line. Their are two routes on this line - Bathurst and Queen's Key. Take the Bathurst one - ask for a transfer. Get off at King and Bathurst.
Take the eastbound King streetcar to Parliament. The Distillery area is two blocks south and one block east from here.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 04:05 AM

Another vote for grabbing a cab and heading to Cora's for breakfast.

Cher, We are keen to try the Fast Ferry as well so I'll be interested in reading your trip report!
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 04:18 AM
BAK

Cher, if you go to Cora's, first of all it's another four-letter lady-name starting with a C, so you should feel at home.

And after you eat, you're across the street from a hydro substation, beside a big dull hotel, in the dullest corner of the dead entertainment district where nothing is happening on Sunday mornings.

You can't even walk back to Chapters, because it does not open until noon on Sunday.

Which is why The Distillery District makes sense. At least there's probably something going on.

BAK
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info ... I love Fodors! I'll post a follow up report regarding the ferry. My husband and I have been to Toronto many times, but have not visited The Distillery area, so I appreciate that tip. Looks like Sunday's weather will be nice, so we are looking forward to the trip.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 03:09 AM

Cher, how was your trip and how did the transportation work out with the fast Ferry?
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

I've been meaning to post my trip report so thanks for prompting me!

The fast ferry trip is a great way to travel to Toronto. We came for a day trip to see the Cirque du Soleil show, and did not bring our car. The weather was very mild and sunny, and the lake was smooth both trips so it hardly even felt like the ferry was moving. I have heard that it can at times get a bit wavy on a very windy day. The ship is beautiful with very comfortable seating; first come-first serve. We sat in the front Panorama Lounge and had a great view of the skyline pulling into Toronto. No problem going through customs either time, although on very busy days this could take a bit of time if one ends up towards the end of the line. They serve food cafeteria style on board, and there's also a bar. The food was OK, prices not too bad, although a little pricey (but what you would expect). You can bring your own snacks/beverages on board as well.

Because we came for a day trip and were a bit pressed for time, we took cabs (otherwise we generally take public transportation -- The 172 bus goes right to the terminal). We had brunch at Cora's (which was very good) and then headed over to the 1:00pm show after that (we started walking, and then had to grab a cab as we were running short on time). Then after the show we headed to The Distillery warehouse area, strolled around and had a bite to eat there. There was not much going on there at that time, late on Sunday afternoon (and a few restaurants were not open), but we really didn't have that much time anyway, so just walked around and grabbed a quick bite to eat.

We enjoyed the Cirque du Soleil show, Corteo, although it was not as good as their last show we saw, Varekai (which was incredible). I was actually a bit disappointed in Corteo after seeing Varekai.

All-in-all, I would definitely take the ferry again for travel to Toronto. If going for a specific activity/show and don't mind having limited time to do other things (which we didn't because we've been to Toronto many other times), it's great to have the option to come for a day trip. (Although my preference would be to stay a couple nights.)

I hope that the ferry will be a success, although I'm still not convinced that it will be able to sustain itself economically in the long run. They've just announced a cut-back on trips to only once/day on weekends, which now eliminates the option for a day-trip. I think this schedule cut-back is only intended for the fall/winter/spring season, however it was done earlier in the season than anticipated, due to high fuel costs and rider patterns. So time will tell...
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:01 PM

It was my first Cirque d' Soleil experience - the first act was better than the second.

For your next breakfast experience, try eggspectations on Yonge street in Eaton Centre. Both Cora's and eggspectations are Montreal based restaurants.