Comfort Inn, Victoria reviews please

May 30th, 2001, 12:25 PM
L

Comfort Inn, Victoria reviews please

I reserved a junior suite at the Comfort Inn in Victoria (2nd floor for better view)and I would like to get some input about it's location, size of rooms & decoration from anyone that has ever seen it.

this hotel is on the waterway, 15 minutes from downtown Victoria.

Any information on this hotel would be much appreciated,

Thanks

May 30th, 2001, 07:33 PM
April

I worked there for a summer when I was a teenager! It had a different name then so presumably it's been renovated. It had cabins by the water that some people would rent for months and make quite homey. Should be fine as long as you have a car.

May 31st, 2001, 10:29 AM
L

Thanks April,

We do have a car and don't want to stay downtown Victoria but close enough.

They told me that it was totally renovated 4 years ago and the cottages (cost 229/night) are brand new so I don't know if it's the same place as what you are thinking of.

address is 101 Highland Hwy

May 31st, 2001, 07:26 PM
April

That's the place. I imagine they demolished the old cottages.

Since you're out that way, drive a bit further out of town to Hatley Park at Royal Roads. You'll go through an ugly strip-mall/car lot area but don't let that deter you. You'll be turning left. Hopefully it will still been green by the time you get there as there is a water shortage and even the Empress Hotel lawns are beginning to brown!

You can also drive the road between the ocean and the lagoon that you'll be seeing from the park.

May 31st, 2001, 07:37 PM
L

Thank you so much April, I really appreciate your help.

I'm in Montreal and it has not stopped raining for the last week, I guess the rain is stuck here and Victoria gets all the dry weather!

I will take your advise and drive to Hatley Park. Any other suggestions of things to do in the area with 11 and 15 yr old kids?

Jun 1st, 2001, 07:22 PM
April

I don't know what interests your 11 and 15 year old. I asked a coworker what her sons around the same age would want to do if they were visiting Victoria, and she said, "Go home"!

A Tally-ho horse drawn tour perhaps? Whale watching? A tour on the little harbour ferries? Definitely go to the museum by the inner harbour. If you have the time try to get to Tofino to see one of the most beautiful beach areas on the island. It would be best to spend more than day there, otherwise you'll be driving nearly all day.

Jun 1st, 2001, 07:29 PM
L

Hi April,
Thanks again for your reply,

I don't think they would be much interrested in museum. Maybe the beach or rent bikes if there is not to much traffic and do some excursions?

Jun 1st, 2001, 09:30 PM
April

The museum may sound boring but it's really not, and if you've never been to the west coast before, it's a must see. Truly! Click on
http://rbcm1.rbcm.gov.bc.ca/visit-mu...lleries2e.html
and scroll to the right.

The kids might actually enjoy the old west town, the long house, totems, old ship, mine, forest, etc. exhibits.

If they don't want to go, ensconce them in the adjoining IMAX theatre and go yourselves.

Victoria is not terribly well set up for bicycles although there are some bicycle lanes. Many people think Victoria has nutty drivers. Add to that a fair number of tourists who don't know where they're going.

I know bikes can be rented at the inner harbour but there are probably other places. Might be best to head out to the waterfront or along side streets or the Galloping Goose trail.

Jun 2nd, 2001, 06:56 PM
l

To bad Victoria is not set up for bike rides...

I live in the Montreal area, so my kids have been to IMAX quite a few times. Water slides might interrest them more but we don't go all the way to Victoria to do the same stuff that we already can do here.

Is there anything in Victoria that we don't have in Montreal that could interest them?

Jun 3rd, 2001, 01:01 AM
April

I've never been to Montreal, so I wouldn't know. Anybody?

Jun 4th, 2001, 01:47 PM
rand

To start out on a sarcastic note, what does Victoria have that Montreal does not? Air you can breathe. Actually if your kids cycle in Montreal, Victoria will be amazingly calm for them traffic wise. You could give them a map, point out the 'scenic drive' and meet up at dinner time. There are also ocean kuyaking rentals sometimes. Rollerblading along the waterfront. You should be getting the idea that this area is all about outdoor sports. Oh we also have a total absence of underground shopping malls.

Jun 5th, 2001, 01:04 PM
L

Thanks Rand for your reply. We live in the suburbs of Montreal, therefore, my kids are not used to traffic...or polution. But because we live near a big city, we also have lots of activities around but we do not have the mountains that you have and especially, the ocean!

I can't wait to visit!