Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Clifton Hill - Niagara Falls - Comfort vs. Quality Inns? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/clifton-hill-niagara-falls-comfort-vs-quality-inns-535406/)

wanderluster Jun 9th, 2005 04:46 AM

Clifton Hill - Niagara Falls - Comfort vs. Quality Inns?

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two?
They're next to each other and both have good Trip Advisor reviews.

Or is there *anything* that makes one better than the other? Pool?

Four kids (8-17) will be with us (in two rooms).

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thank you.

sobolik Jun 9th, 2005 10:23 AM

I have not been there yet but I am scheduled for July 10-11 at Quality Inn. Here is why I choose it -right or wrong - having never been there to proove or disproove. I called and requested/specified the 900 wing and a room looking out at the trees. I specified 900 wing so me and my kids (14 & 17) can walk out and have the shortest distance to Clifton Hill neon strip for night time activities, the Sir Harry Oaks Garden for fireworks viewing, Rainbow Tower Carillon recital, and other walking options. Make it feel like it is all happening right in our "back yard" And I specified overlooking the trees to avoid the concrete jungle, parking lot view, tourist pack-em in like sardines immpression. And you just never know what kind of birds or wildlife might provide an extra treat. Besides the trees all my internet research left me with no other difference as to selection between these two . All hotels were options for me. Any price or any with view appeal or any other reason. I chose this spot over all commers for the proximity to Clifton Hill and the trees. Only after getting aerial photos on the web and pondering all the locations did it all come together in my mind.

sobolik Jun 9th, 2005 10:31 AM

p.s. There is one near the Sir Harry Oaks Garden that was more high rise upscale with a view of the falls. But I rejected because of mixed/bad reviews. I forget the name now but it was not one of your 2 in question anyway. My point is Quality and Comfort have good reviews.

wanderluster Jun 9th, 2005 07:52 PM

Thank you sobolik!
That is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for.
Both places still sound similar since there's a wing at the Comfort that is good for fireworks.
Both have balconies.
Only the Comfort has *free* breakfast.

Do you (or anyone) know about the *DRAGON* slide(s) at the Quality - large enough for pre-teens / teens?
From the picture on line it looks fairly small.

Also, are the balconies similar at both places?
Again, any information is appreciated.

wanderluster Jun 11th, 2005 06:35 AM

topping - any other comments or feedback?

thank you.

wanderluster Jun 11th, 2005 08:18 PM

...topping one more time....???

sobolik Jun 12th, 2005 05:34 AM

Quality sold me a package that included coupons for breakfast at Golden griddle. pizza coupon and tokens for Midway. Call both places on the phone to inquire, rather than go through speculators that sell you only what they pre-bought. I have found calling direct no more expensive than a broker and I can get ALL the information about anything I care to ask the young person (typically) Even if it has nothing to do with the hotel. Walking distance?, is a certain attraction worth it? etc. They usually live there so ask them what do kids 8-17 really do in Niagara area that is way cool! What did they do at that age. They might refer you to a secret swimming hole or something that is 500 times better than a tourist substitute. They might be very bored and enjoy providing you with what no one ever bothers to ask "them". But be considerate and fish around later if they are shy or whatever. I know nothing about balconies and slides because I can get that at home so I am not targeting that at Niagara.

wanderluster Jun 13th, 2005 05:59 AM

Thanks for the reply, sobolik.

I've talked to both hotels directly and the main difference between the two appears to be the free breakfast at the Comfort, and the mini water slide at the Quality.

Guess I'll flip a coin! :)

By the way, does anyone know if or how to access Niagara Falls on Fodors *Destinations* or *hotels* folders?

Unless its my computer, I don't see a category for the Falls.
Seems odd.

wanderluster Jun 21st, 2005 03:44 AM

Still thinking about flipping a coin -
but also wondered about the Travelodge across the street from the Comfort and Quality Inns.
Any feedback on it?
Travelodges are generally NOT our favorite.
But for this long weekend we'd like to be right there in Clifton Hill.
And unless the Travelodge is a dump, it appears to be a good location.
ANY feedback GREATLY appreciated.