Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   christmas in Vancouver (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/christmas-in-vancouver-358599/)

berger79 Sep 15th, 2003 01:08 PM

christmas in Vancouver

Our family is traveling to Vancouver over Christmas before heading up to ski at Whistler. What should be do for 3 days? Hotels?

hoiyini Sep 19th, 2003 06:33 PM

I plan to stay in Whistler first, then two or three days in Vancouver. Fodor's has a 3 days itenery for Vancouver. You can check it out. Apparently the tourists in this board love Pan Pacific. It doesn't seem to be so expensive comparing to the motel in California.
Are you going to be in Vancouver on 12/25? Restaurants open? Tourist sites? Let me know.

Sam_Salmon Sep 21st, 2003 06:43 PM

Restaurants aplenty will be open Xmas day-Vancouver has a large non-Christian population.

GaryA Sep 22nd, 2003 08:05 PM

In fact most Vancouverites are not Christian but still the only restaurants that are generally open are in the hotels (of course) and almost all Chinese and East Indian Restaurants. Also some Vietnamese and Jewish delis.

Suprisingly enough you'll find more Xmass lights and celebration in places like Hong Kong or Singapore. When I was in Singapore and seeing the amazing Xmas lights and displays I asked our tour guide why, when less than 20% of Singapore was Christian there was such a panopoly of Xmas display. "Well" he said "it's because of our state religion." "Your State religion?' I said, "Just because you're a former British Colony your state religion is Christianity?" "no" he said. "our State religion is 'Money' and Christmas means lots of Money"

Unfortunately in Vancouer you can travel through blocks and blocks of residences and even stores and see no indication of the season. While I'm Jewish I miss the Vancouver of the 50's when the Xmas season was really the season of lights.

dar Sep 23rd, 2003 11:24 AM

There is a nice Christmas light display in Stanley Park, operated by the Firemen of Van...free or small donation..also the Shaunessy Restaurant on Oak is nice to visit for dinner, then walk around the Christmas display put on by the gardens (there is a charge for this one). It's also fun to book a "carol ship cruise" and cruise around the harbour, lots of boats all lit up, lots of fun!!

WillTravel Oct 5th, 2003 11:07 PM

I think there are elaborate Christmas decorations set up at Canada Place.

In respect to Dec. 25: Most grocery stores are closed, but many corner stores and restaurants will be open. I doubt that any tourist sites are open, but you can always walk around and maybe go see a movie. If you are here on Boxing Day (Dec. 26), there will be frenetic sales happening.

dar Oct 6th, 2003 11:14 AM

Gary....Happy Yom Kipper (sorry I don't know the proper spelling!!)

GaryA Oct 6th, 2003 01:39 PM

Thanks Dar. The spelling is correct but even were it not I appreciate the gesture.

PamSF Oct 7th, 2003 10:11 PM

Speaking of East Indian restaurants..check out Vij's. We loved this place. And, ever more a Christmas Day trdation..dim sum..check out the Kirin downtown at Alberni and W. Georgia. We were just in Vancouver and loved it. Arnold Schwartznegger became the governor of California (from which this post is written) this evening..oh if I could figure out how to move to Vancouver tomorrow I would.

berger79 Oct 15th, 2003 10:54 AM

Thanks for all the replies. We will be in Vancouver 12/25-12/27.We are thinking of staying in Granville? What sites should we see the day after Christmas. Thanks.

dar Oct 18th, 2003 01:47 PM

an interesting site the day after Christmas is the line up at A & B Sound store .... people line up for hours in the cold to save $50 on a stereo!