Cheticamp - where to stay, if at all

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Stan

Cheticamp - where to stay, if at all

Some earlier posters have been unimpressed with Cheticamp, but I'm considering spending two nights there before moving on to Ingonish and then on to Baddeck. Cheticamp seems well located for hiking on some of the trails in Cape Breton Highlands National Park. I'd like to hear some impressions of Cheticamp and, if I stay there, any thoughts on lodging and restaurants?

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Louis

I stayed at Germaine Doucet's B&B a few years back. Basic but delicious breakfast.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Karen

Cheticamp is a very unimpressive village. I would not suggest staying there. Baddeck is nice. A very nice location for hiking is the Markland Resort in Dingwall.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Stan

Karen: Your thoughts on Cheticamp (and those of several others) have made me rethink my plans. I thought it would be a good place to stop after the long ride from Halifax and would also be a good starting off point for access to the Skyline Trail, Bog Trail and Benjes Lake Trail (all good for wildlife/moose). If I stay at Dingwall, I guess it is an hour or so drive to these trails and also, I'd be limited to restaurant at the Markland Resort for dinner (which may be good or bad, I don't know). Just curious as to driving times on the Cabot Trail in the Park (am I making too much about staying "close" to these trails?) and also "why" Cheticamp was so unimpressive(even if it is not scenic, I thought the variety of lodging and restaurants would be useful). Would appreciate more thoughts, if you have any. Thanks.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Tanya

Well I guess to each his/her own. I love Cheticamp area. It is totally different from Baddeck (Baddeck is more touristy and upscale). Cheticamp located directly on the ocean. It is a fishing village with french roots. Most people speak french as a first language. You are correct it probably is closest for the Skyline Trail. I haven't stayed in Cheticamp but I don't think you would be disappointed. My biggest disappointed came this year when we couldn't get into the local tavern on Saturday afternoon to hear fiddle music. The place was totally packed with people from 19 to 90. You never know who will show up to play so it is always a treat!

The Cabot trail can be done in about 6 hours allowing for time to stop and take pictures and lunch. Baddeck is very central you can be on the trail in less than 20 minutes. We rented a 3 bedroom house there this summer for $169/night. Awesome spot. Also did a boat tour on the Breagh Loch - wonderful captain and lots of stories about Alexander Graham Bell. The museum is a must - the man was brilliant!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Paula

In 1997, while traveling from Mabou to Dingwall, my husband and I stopped at Cheticamp for an hour or two to browse shops and eat lunch. We found Cheticamp very touristy and did not care for it at all. If we had it to do over again, we would request a packed lunch from our hotel in Mabou and not stopped in Cheticamp at all. (My husband still groans and rolls his eyes at that thought of Cheticamp.)

As for the Markland Resort, it has been a few years, but we did enjoy the breakfast and dinner that we had there.

We also enjoyed our stay in Baddeck - particularly, the boat tour (Ameoba Boat Tours) and the Alexander Graham Bell Museum.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Molly

I found Cheticamp to be very barren and unimpressive. Depends on what your preferences are.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Molly

I am a different "Molly" than the one that posted above.
My husband and I twice stayed in the towns of Margaree, Cape North and Baddeck, hiking and site-seeing along the way. This arrangement worked very well for us, and we liked all three locations very much.

We were sorry though, that we missed seeing more of Cheticamp than we did driving through. I too am interested in what people think of it, as we would love to return to Cape Breton. People seem to either love or hate it!

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I agree with Tanya -- loved Cheticamp! Wasn't looking for grandeur, and it wasn't there. We stayed in a strip-type motel that was probably the cleanest hotel/motel I've ever been in. The owner made us take off our shoes before he took us in to show us the room. We had a great dinner at a seafood restaurant that we could walk to along the small boardwalk by the water and heard an Acadian (sp) group in what reminded me of an old VFW in the US. Loved every minute of our visit -- especially the flavor of the French language.

Also stopped at Baddeck -- pretty, but, I thought, pretentiousn(sp?) a bit WASPY -- that same old, same old "country" look -- filled with potpourri and candles....that I've seen 2 million times before -- give me Cheticamp any day! It's real!