Chateau Lake Louise OR Banff Springs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travelling from Australia for a White Christmas in the Canadian Rockies and am looking at either the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise or Banff Springs Hotel. It would only be for 2-3 days actually over Christmas. Which, in everyones opinion would have the most atmosphere for Christmas, bigger rooms etc. Or would we really be better staying at somewhere like Emerald lake or Deer Lake?
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to say it's for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teenagers) then off for 2 weeks skiing, so skiing while we are here is not an issue.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 03:47 AM

I stayed in both, I liked both, and it is difficult to choose.
However, for 2 -3 days in winter, I think that I would go to Banf castle. It is more romatic, it looks like a scotish castle (while Lake Louise is more modern). I was in June, but I suppose that the Christmas decoration will be splendid at Banf. Also, it is located 10 minutes walk to town of Banf (a small town with hundred of shops) and I suppose that all these streets and shops will be decorated.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 06:42 AM
BAK

Banff, because of the teenagers. There's much more to do in Baff, which has a real genuine very nice little town just down the road from the hotel.

BAK
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 08:20 AM

For a winter visit, and specially if you are not skiing, I recommend Banff over Lake Louise.

Emerald Lake is in a lovely secluded spot, but it's more of a honeymoony sort of place. I wouldn't go there with a couple of teenagers in winter.

I've never heard of a Deer Lake in the area. Perhaps you mean Deer Lodge. It's a small, quaint hotel within easy walking distance of the lake of Lake Louise and Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise (3 miles from the village of Lake Louise). I love staying at Deer Lodge for summer and autumn hiking, but I don't recommend it for your winter stay with a couple of teenagers.

The Banff Springs Hotel is an interesting building from an architectural point of view. It has a couple of wonderful restaurants, and it's beautifully decorated at Christmas time.

<b>Both</b> the Banff Springs Hotel and Chateau Lake Louise have inconsistent room sizes. Some of their rooms are big and some of them are small. People will tell you that one of them has larger rooms than the other. That is based on <b>their</b> stays in those hotels. If you search, you'll find other people who'll report exactly the oposite.

So ..... if big rooms are important to you, research what you need to do to ensure you get what you want.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:58 PM

I have to answer this one (we are also from Australia) - we spent Christmas 2006 at the Fairmont Lake Louise with our 2 children - it was absolutely breaktaking - from the ice skating to the sleigh ride to Christmas Day lunch in the Victoria room - it snowed Christmas afternoon and we had the best time running and laughing in the snow in the most beautiful place. One December 26 we left for the Banff Springs Hotel which is also very beautiful - but for memories of a lifetime - Christmas Day I would have to say Chateau Lake Louise.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:58 AM
ltt

tough call so i'm sure you'll enjoy whichever one you go to.
i've been to banff/lake louise many times but last year was the first time i've been there around christmas. i was disappointed in the banff springs hotel for their lack of festive feel. the chateau was great. beautiful decoration, ice skating, just down the road there were people who would take you out dog sledding. i think if my kids were the type that liked the outdoors, relaxing in the hotel...i'd choose the chateau and just visit the town of banff.
if they are the type that want to shop, have a wider choic of restaurants, maybe a movie, etc, then i'd choose the banff springs (although over christmas, i'm not sure what's all open)
fabulous area. you'll have a great time, i'm sure.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:53 AM

You can't go wrong with either of them...they are just differnet flavours, but for my money and just 2-3 days, I would stay in Lake Louise. By virtue of location, the Chateau LL has a real winter-wonderlandland feel at Christmas and is very festive. Ice skating, snowshoing, x-country skiing, dog sledding etc. are right at your doorstep. I would recommend booking now for a dinner at the Post Hotel down in the village of Lake Louise. Excellent!! The Banff Springs will be equally festive but will not have the same 'winterwonderland' feel...Banff townsite just does not get the same snowfall at that time of year. Obviously, the proximity of the townsite offers differnet options but over Christmas stores may be closed.

Judy is dead on with room sizes...they vary drastically. The Springs has an old part and a new part...I would really try for the old part...much more old world atmosphere and closer to restraunts, pool, spa(very nice).

Out of curiosity, Where are you off skiing afterwards??

Enjoy your holiday in the Canadian Rockies
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:19 PM

lake louise hands down
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:03 PM

Chteau Lake Louise. It's a much quieter less touristy place Lake Louise. As well the chateau is smack dab in front of a gorgeous lake and mountains. The best. If you want a busy shopping day you can always go to banff which is about an hour away. But Lake Louise is the best.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:53 PM

Another vote for Lake Louise...and we have been there in both winter and summer.