CAR RENTAL FROM CALGARY TO SEATTLE

Old May 12th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAR RENTAL FROM CALGARY TO SEATTLE

I'm traveling with my wife and two boys(10 &6)from Calgary to Seattle and taking in the sites of Banff, Lake Louise & Jasper along the way. I went to price Mini-van rental prices and was shocked by the price compared to even a luxury car. I'm traveling 10 days and wanted something roomy and gave me good views, especially considering the scenery. Is there any way of getting a better rate on a mini van. The cost was about 2300 USD for 10 days. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Hi jeffk179,

I've just a quick search for a mini van in Calgary during one of the more popular periods during our summer tourist season. Some companies appeared to be sold out of them, but some companies still had mini vans available.

Not all car rental companies allow you to pick up a vehicle in Canada and drop it off in the USA. The companies that do allow it ding you for the one-way drop off. Well there's also a one-way drop off fee if you pick up in Calgary and drop off in Vancouver, but it's even higher if you drop off in the state of Washington.

Something that might help you to contain the cost is to pick up in Calgary and drop off in Vancouver. Then you could use the Quick Shuttle bus service to get from Vancouver to Seattle. Then, if you want to rent a vehicle in Seattle, you could pick up a different one there.

I have not done the math and compared the costs of that option, but I am guessing there is a good chance the overall price will be a bit more reasonable.
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, I'm going to need the minivan in Washington as I'm going to be in the Mt Baker area for about 5 days after visting the Canadanian Rockies. So I'm thinking of flying from Vancouver to Newark instead of Seattle to Newark, this will save me at least $1000 in car rental fees. My only concern with this is Customs. How long does it typically take to cross over through customs. Thanks, Jeff
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

OK, I've just checked flights from Vancouver to Newark, going to cost me an additional $825 with one-stop than flying out of Seattle, so either way looks like I'm going to have to pay.
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:41 PM

You have chosen a difficult itenerary in that regard. For example, I would never plan a vacation picking up a car in England and dropping it in France.
Rather I would plan for two different rentals, with commercial travel over the border.