Cape Breton, the itinerary and me!?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't find my earlier threads here so will start over. My husband and I (in our early 60's) will be leaving Ct for Nova Scotia on August 2nd through the 13th. I had previously asked about the drive but as it turned out 1000 miles was just too much for both of us--not to mention gas, wear and tear on car etc. Someone had suggested flying into Halifax which at this late date was costly like $900 each and the flights from Hartford have two stops and it would take us over 8 hours to get there. So it looks like at this point we will be taking the ferry to and from Portland. So here is my quiry--what to see and where to go. I mentioned we honeymooned at the Digby Pines so might head out for Digby and spend that night there. We will take the western route heading to Cape Breton. What not to miss enroute and should we spent a night somewhere in between? I have received very helpful suggestions on my other post about the Cape Breton area and I think we will stay awhile in Ingonish--perhaps 5 or 6 nights. Then we will come back the eastern side--Peggy'sCove, Lunenburg, Halifax and will decide where to stay along the way (suggestions?) My husband wants to play golf and I would like to read and stare at the sea but also sightseing at hopefully a leisurely pace. So go to it my friends and share all your suggestions with me. Thanks so much--Reeder
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Your original thread is under "Cape Breton Questions etc." below. I had posted a reply suggesting staying in the Ingonish area (Keltic Lodge or elsewhere) and golf at the famous Highlands Links course. You can tour the whole Cabot Trail from here as day-trips. Baddeck is a nice town to spend an afternoon in (or an optional place to stay and make your base). Make sure you do the drive through the National Park between Ingonish and Cheticamp - spectacular! (Although I think the views are best when driven in the clockwise direction).

Halifax has a compact but vibrant waterfront district. Lots of hotels, some with harbour views. From Halifax drive southwest taking the Lighthouse Route - get off the main highway as much as possible and follow the shoreline to discover small colourful fishing villages and lighthouses. Lunenburg is a lovely historic town on a sheltered bay where many of the old buildings have been turned into artsy shops. Peggy's Cove is a worthwhile scenic stop, but you won't need to spend much time there (stay elsewhere). Mahone Bay is a pleasant village with shops and cafes. Summerville Beach is a nice stretch of sand with accommodations right on the beach - might fill the bill for reading and staring at the sea.

If you don't yet have the Doers and Dreamers Guide (Nova Scotia government tourism publication) - pick one up as soon as you get to NS from any tourism-related office. Has details of pretty well every attraction, event and accommodation in the province.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Normally I can pull up my posts just punching in Reeder but it isn't working for me. I thank you for all your advice and help. What about our drive from Digy on the western side--anything of merit to see? Someone had mentioned a mussel farm? I could use help in this area as well. H
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Click your name to pull up all your posts.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Annapolis Royal, which is not far from Digby, is a pretty little town with shops, etc. One of the few places I haven't had a chance to visit yet in NS is on your route - Wolfville and nearby Cape Blomidon. I hear that Wolfville is a very nice town with a waterfront area and shops and restaurants (others on this Forum can tell you more). Although it isn't all that far from Digby.

Quite a few years ago we stayed a couple of nights at a pleasant seaside resort near Pictou (Caribou - adjacent to a narrow red sand beach). It was a long time ago, but I remember it as being pleasant - might be a suitable overnight stay enroute (or longer if you want to do some of your reading and staring out to sea here).
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice and tips! I am taking copious notes. Anyone else have anything to contribute--especially the west coast of Nova Scotia? H
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:51 PM

I don't mean to alarm you but if you know your staying in Ingonsh for 5 or 6 days and if you want to travel anywhere else its going to be a lot of driving time , Ingonish is lacated on the Cabot Trail one hour outside of Baddeck 2 hours out side of Sydney and 2 1/2 hour outside of louisbourg, I would suggest you stay in Baddeck which is at least centrally located and it does have all the serveces you want Now mind you its only a suggestion but anyway have fun.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. I hope we get there but I am experiencing some medical problems this week. I will see my doctor on Monday and he will do bloodwork and then he will decide if we can go away.I sure hope so as I have been so looking forward to it.I absolutely love the research and thank you for all your help. I am going to be positive and plan to go. I have also looked in Baddeck and that sure is apossibility. H By the way I did receive my info from Nova SCotia Tourism oboard. they sent it pretty quick.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 07:17 AM

Just wanted to add my opinion that Ingonish is a good place to stay if you're planning on spending a lot of your time enjoying the scenery and attractions of the National Park. I've stayed there twice for about 5 days each, it's an easy drive to Baddeck for a day trip, there are beaches, trails and ocean vistas nearby, and we've day-tripped the whole Cabot Trail from here several times (although it's a long drive, it's an easy, pleasant and scenic one and a full day allows lots of time to stop, hike, and picnic along the way).

Baddeck is a pleasant place to stay also, but different.

Hope your health allows you to do the trip. Let us know. Best wishes.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your info and good wishes about my health. My stiff shoulder is a pain right now and my other ailment at this point has no symptoms. Seeing a doctor in Hartford tomorrow morning and will know more then.
I am so hopeful we get to go as all the info I have received from so many of you has left me excited about the trip. Helen
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Great news for me!--I got the medical go ahead to take our trip to Cape Breton. Will be actively working on it tomorrow---when my husband will be out of the office and I get to use the computer!!H
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 02:22 PM

You go girl!!! Have a great trip. We will be following you about a month later (from Texas) & look forward to your reports. Hasn't this group been great!
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

It sure has been great! We have traveled extensively over the years and I always rely on my Fordor's boards. I am pretty good about my travel reports in fact I think I get a bit too wordy at times but you can count on mye for an intnsive report soon after our trip.

Now since we honeymooned in Nova Scotia 37 years ago at Digby PInes I thought it would be appropriate to spend a couple of nights there upon arrival (ferry from Portland) My husband can play golf which he did on our honeymoon? Except this time I won't walk along with him?? Hello? He felt guilty leaving me alone so INSISTED I walk along. I have never set foot since on a golf coursw and will never! I just don't get the thrill of getting that lttle white ball in the hole. Anyway wnce we leave Digby we will either stop in Braddeck for a night or so and then go on to Antigonish. What is the distance between Digby and Antigonish? Should we stop in between? Thanks ahead for your help. H
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Just clarifying - is it Antigonish or Ingonish you're thinking of staying in?

I only ask because, although your most recent post says Antigonish, in past we had been discussing Ingonish - a different town in a different location.

I did the drive from Digby to Ingonish about 5 years ago without stopping in between, but I don't remember how long it took. Check Mapquest - I find their estimates are usually a bit conservative, it typically takes me less time.

Just one other comment - When are you going? Nova Scotia, though still quieter than most major vacation destinations in North America, is not quite so off-the-beaten-track as it would have been when you visited 37 years ago. If you're going during the summer, it might be wise to try to book accommodation ahead, especially for weekends.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Yes of course I am talking about Ingonish! Sorry! Yes we are going in early August. Once I reserve our car for the ferry I will confirm the various lodging we have chosen and this will happen tomorrow. It would appear the various places I have been in contact with have vacancies--which might be related to the weak American dollar. Canada at this time is not the bargain it was. More tomorrow. I guess this means you think the drive from Digby to "Ingonish" is doable. Thanks again for your help. Helen
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 02:58 AM

Ingonish to Digby is a looooong drive for one day - unless you don't mind driving. You will have to travel back into Halifax (there are other routes, but take longer) and I would suggest the drive will take 8-9 hours - given most of the way (with exception from New Glasgow/Halifax/Windsor) is two-way traffic. That would include construction delays - there are a few.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Okay we spend two nights at Digby--maybe one night in Pictou or would Baddeck be too far(we have nine nights total here and I think I am loving Ingonish!) So what make sense sowe don't overdo on any one day. Pictou or Baddeck. then leaving Ingonish back to Yarmouthwe might have two nights left. HELP111
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:23 AM

I love Tanya's helpful info. Reeder, it sounds like we have similar trips planned but we will only be able to have a week. Group suggested Consulate Inn in Pictou for us which we have booked. What town would be a suggestion for a stop at the beginning of the trail somewhere between Mabou and Cheticamp? We are leaning toward 2 nights in Ingonish. Keltic Lodge seems a bit pricey and big for us although we plan to do the hike from their grounds. Any ideas on a nice accommodation in Ingonish, view would be great. Also, what about restaurant ideas in Ingonish? Of course it must be only seafood! Thanks again for all the help in planning this trip. My parents went to Nova Scotia on their honeymoon in 1932!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

I am finalizing my plans and doing Ingonish research so should get back to you in next day or so with some decent options. I have read that food at Keltic Lodge is good and reasonable. I am still waiting for those in the know to tell me about our trip from Digby to Ingonish andwhat would be a good stop in between. We want to avoid any long driving days. Then someone mentionted going back through Halifax and I thought we could go the northern route just as easily. HELP11
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:30 PM
emc

If you go to Digby, try and make some time to drive down Digby Neck to Brier Island. It's at the very end and takes two ferries to get there, but what a lovely, windswept spot. You can take great whale watching cruises from there and there are a number of trails around the island with lovely views.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -