Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Canadian vacation/Toronto (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/canadian-vacation-toronto-417607/)

juinmi Mar 31st, 2004 06:04 PM

Canadian vacation/Toronto

Traveling from the Detroit area and am considering a vacation this summer in nearby Ontario. We usually like to spend about 4 days in a city (Toronto probably) and then move out to a more relaxed natural scenic area for the next 3-4 days. Any suggestions for this vague idea? Would like to do theatre, sights etc in Toronto. Love fishing, hiking etc but don't want to camp/tent it. Would prefer a cabin by a lake e.g. Any ideas are appreciated.

latitude49 Mar 31st, 2004 07:44 PM

I'm not much of an expert when it comes to the topic of Toronto. However, I did spend 2 days last summer in that big megalopolis and would be happy to share with you what I found of interest while I was there.

1. CN Tower - Be prepared for line ups, line ups, and more line ups! The series of line ups begin at the outdoor ticket counters. Fortunately, there was some live entertainment to amuse the crowd while we waited. Then, once inside the building, there was yet another long line up for the elevators. I must say, though, that the time spent in the line ups was worth it. When I eventually reached the top of the tower, the views were quite remarkable.

2. Kensington Market - For some reason, the streets in this market were surprisingly quiet during the late morning hours while I was there. It was nice... it felt like I had the whole place for myself to roam! There are plenty of funky/eclectic stores and small mom & pop businesses.

3. Niagara Falls - I only spent half a day there. I wish I had planned for more time. The Falls are breathtaking. There are a number of excellent photo opportunities. At night, after the sun sets, there is an amazing light show. Be sure to stay for that!

If you are an urbanite who is fascinated by cities, then I think you will enjoy a trip to Toronto (and probably won't be too daunted by its size). Cheers.

JMM Apr 1st, 2004 10:15 AM

Outside of Toronto suggestions:
1. the Bruce Peninsula is lovely especially the National park (Bruce Peninsula National Park) Superlative hiking along the Bruce Trail and in the park (which takes up a good chunk of the peninsula). What there is to see: waterfalls (2 right beside the highway at Owen Sound (the bottom of the pensinsula); incredible rock formations including grottos and caves, the bluest, clearest water (but COLD) in Georgian Bay; Ship wrecks - easily accessible from Tobermory (at the tip of the Bruce peninsula). Owen Sound is about 2.5 hours north of Toronto. Tobermory is about an additional hour north of Owen Sound.
2. Algonquin Provincial Park and surrounding area - moose, wolves, deer and some pleasant scenery.

gannetmusic Apr 1st, 2004 11:04 AM

I second JMMs suggesdtion about 'the Bruce'.
On the Georgian Bay side are limestone cliffs in many places while the Lake Huron shore has some splendid sand beaches where the water is much warmer than the frigid Bay.
Landscapes range from rolling farmland to lush maple - beech forests to unusual limestone alvars and evergreen woodlands.
As JMM said the hiking opportunities are excellent along the scenic Georgian Bay side.
Let me know if you think this area might suit you. My home town is at the foot of 'The Bruce' and I might be able to suggest a few out of the way spots you would enjoy.

cheers

Jerry

dial Apr 1st, 2004 05:54 PM

Not sure if you are also looking for Toronto advice. If you like cities, you can easily spend 4 days in Toronto, especially if it includes a day to Niagara Falls. If you want more Toronto info, let us know or check other threads.

Other outdoors areas within 2-3 hours of Toronto are Muskokas (becoming like the Hamptons) and Haliburton. Algonquin Park is a little futher away with limited cabins and resorts. Are you looking for rseort or just a cabin/cottage? Price range?

juinmi Apr 2nd, 2004 04:45 AM

Wow! The Bruce Peninsula sounds amazing, exactly what I'm looking for. I will have to research more and get back to you for specific questions. Jerry, I may take you up on any suggestions you might have for lodging. I haven't done all my homework re: Toronto and don't want to ask annoyingly redundant questions about what to do or where to stay..
I don't think we will be doing Niagara Falls, did that last year. Thanks for all the suggestions.

goldilox Apr 2nd, 2004 10:59 AM

You mentioned seeing some theatre in Toronto... keep Stratford in mind for theatre too... it happens to be on the way to the big city and is a regular weekend getaway spot for many Michiganites(?!).

Stratford Festival website: www.stratfordfestival.ca