canadian rockies train info please

Feb 24th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

canadian rockies train info please

Hi-I am in the preliminary stages of planning an anniversary trip for my parents this summer. We are hoping to take the train from Vancouver to Jasper or thereabouts and then spend about 5 nights in Jasper and Lake Louise.
My question at this point (and there will be others forthcoming!): any experience or opinions on Rocky Mountain Railtours vs. VIA's Canadian? Both are expensive, but look like they would suit our purpose of seeing a great deal of scenery in a comfortable and non-strenuous manner. I am in search of pros or cons of either.

Thank you in advance!
Feb 24th, 2004, 10:02 AM
ltt

the rockey mountaineer is the best one. you only travel during the day and you get to sleep in a hotel in kamloops. however, it is pretty pricey.
via rail is a great way to travel but unfortunatly you go through a significant part of the mountains at night.
Feb 24th, 2004, 01:28 PM
sockboy

The Canadian should be quite a lot cheaper than Rocky Mountain. If cost is a consideration, I would go with VIA. This is a real case of getting what you pay for.

You say that you will spend 5 nights in Jasper and Lake Louise. Do you have a plan for getting from Jasper to Lake Louise? LL is in Banff and about a 3hr drive from Jasper. Car rentals in Jasper are quite expensive, especially if you want to pick up in Jasper and then drop off elsewhere - say Banff. After your 5 nights in the mountains, where are you returning to? Vancouver? Or are you flying out of Calgary of Edmonton?

If you are considering the Rocky Mountain option, you should consider the Vancouver to Banff train. Although I love Jasper, you could then visit Banff and Lake Lousie easily with a local car rental.

Feb 25th, 2004, 09:56 AM

Agree with Itt. If you can afford it, go with the excursion train (Rocky Mountaineer).

Ken

Search this Thread