Canadian Rockies for Two Weeks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beginning planning for a possible two week trip next summer -- probably the first two weeks of September. I've been to the Canadian Rockies numerous times and spend a lot of time staying in various places, but my partner -- who has never been -- only has two weeks. The goal is a relaxing time, so we don't want to do a ton of driving, yet want to be able to experience a fair amount. He's never done rafting, so that would be fun, maybe horseback riding, mostly hiking and enjoying scenery. I LOVE Glacier National Park (US) and would like to incorporate a few days in one of the lodges there -- Jenny Lake the best choice?. Otherwise, I suspect we'll need to fly in and out of Calgary as rental cars from Canada to US or vice-versa usually don't work. Is there a logical loop rather than returning the same way?

I guess I'm looking for some idea of how to break the trip up including some nice places to stay. I'm usually not very big on those huge lodges filled with tour groups like the Banff Springs Hotel, but yet we love the big lodge feel -- perhaps mixed with a nice quiet cabin somewhere beautiful. I've been sitting looking and reviewing various places for hours and can't seem to get a handle on how to organize this one. Any great suggestions? Looking at flying out there on Saturday and returning two weeks later on a Sunday.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 06:16 AM

Book ASAP! That first weekend in Sept is a long holiday weekend in both Canada and US. This past week when we tried to make reservations for Aug/Sep 2013, we weren't able to get our first choice cabins at the lodges we chose in Jasper and Yoho.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

We don't need to go then, just thinking that with the exception of the first weekend in September, it would be better because school will have started. Would we be better waiting until the second and third or third and fourth week, or are we risking worse weather?
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Oh, and we were thinking we'd be in Calgary on that first weekend, then go out from there on Monday or so, so thought we'd miss the real crush.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 07:59 AM

Have you considered Deer Lodge at Lake Louise for one of the stops? http://www.crmr.com/deer/

Or maybe its sister property, Buffalo Mountain Lodge, although I have not stayed there.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 08:08 AM

Oh, and I personally prefer the latter part of September for the Canadian Rockies. Went once over that Labor Day holiday weekend and it was both hot and crowded. We've also gone in early October and found that perfect.

BTW - have rented cars both in U.S. and Canada to go across border (round trip), but check first. Found daily surcharge in Calgary made it more expensive option.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

studick, taking a Canadian car into the US or vice versa is not usually a problem. The problem is pick up in one country and return to the other. That's the reason for talking about "round trip" driving.
After reviewing some other threads, I'm wondering if it makes sense to fly into Edmonton and out of Calgary or vice versa, particularly if we're going to do Jasper as part of the trip. Edmonton was an OK place to visit, but I don't really see any reason to include it on this limited time trip unless someone can tell me otherwise.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:23 AM

This is one of our favorite places to travel. It is absolutely beautiful. We discovered it on a ski trip.

We have enjoyed 2 visits there in September. This is a very crowded area June-Aug. I would return again in September.

We have only had a week-10 days for each visit, but 2 weeks would be great. I have never been to Glacier, but it is on our list.

We ususally like to stay in one location when we travel but we do split our time up here.

We like to spend the first part of our visit staying in Lake Louise. There is no town here but there is very easy access to Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Emerald Lake and Yoho, Takkakaw Falls and the Lake O'Hara bus.

Mark your calendar for a date 3 months before your trip to book the bus to Lake O'Hara. They limit the number of day hikers allowed in the area. The bus books up so call exactly 3 months before 250-343-6433.

Then spend a day driving the Icefields Parkway to Jasper.

Spend some time in Jasper and then spend another day driving back down the Icefields Parkway. I know you don't want to do a lot of driving but this drive is spectacular. Driving it twice also gives you a better chance at clear weather. We drove this once in the fog and never saw a mountain--that is disappointing.

We usually spend our last night in Banff before heading back to Calgary.

We have stayed at several moderate lodgings:
Lake Louise:

Paradise Lodge and Bungalows: We stayed in their least expensive cabin and loved it. It is on the road but if you can afford the cabins with the decks, they are lovely. Beautiful view out the back of the property. We could jog to Lake Louise. They offer a nice continental breakfast. They offer a special 3 nt hiker special on their website.

Baker Creek: We stayed in the large jacuzzi room. Nice, good restaurant onsite, located between Banff and Lake Louise.

Emerald Lake Lodge: We were able to snag a last minute discount on their website. We loved this place, but it is now too expensive for us. What a location! It is about a half hour outside of Lake Louise but the drive is beautiful. We stayed in the fourplex, a small room on the top floor, with a woodburning fireplace, little balcony with a peak-a-boo view of the lake. They are not totally soundproof, you can hear people climb the stairs. Some of the cottages on the property have fabuous lakefront settings. You are in teh middle of nowhere so we ate at the lodge and enjoyed our breakfasts and dinners there.

On Luxurylink, I see Cathedral Mountain Lodge offered. I have never stayed there but would book that deal if I was planning on returning soon. If I remember correctly, it is between Lake Louise and Emerald Lake.

I would also like to stay at Moraine Lake Lodge--but it is also a more expensive option. I've never seen the rooms but love the picture windows taht look out over the lake.

I think the Post Hotel is considered luxury. We like their Outpost Restaurant.

Personally I don't care for the Chateau--even thoughEmerald Lake Lodge is not plush, is what I think of when I think mountain lodging.

Jasper:

Beckers: Very nice cabins on the road, next to the river, right before you get to Jasper. Onsite restaurant. Elk everyday on the road to Jasper

Alpine Village: They require 3 nights and we have only had time for 2 nights here but I have always wanted to stay here. Nice cabins right beyond Beckers.

Patricia Lake: Cabins on Patricia Lake, a short distance beyond Jasper. Very basic and clean. Affordable. Loved being right next to the lake. The Grove there has more upscale lodging.

Banff:

Rimrock Resort: Last minute special, lovely upscale hotel, beautiful grounds.

There were also some good last minute discounts for the Banff Springs and I would have stayed there if I hadn't been organizing a group of 6. The rooms at the Banff Springs are all different. From what I understand, you get an ok room if you don't book the cheapest rooms. I would love to stay here. I think this place is amazing.

Lots of lodging options in Banff.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 02:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
On our 30th anniversary trip we stayed at the HI Hostel near Jasper. http://www.hihostels.ca/westerncanad...-Jasper.hostel
We had a local rental car which we turned in before getting back on the ViaRail train. We were on our way back to Vancouver after going to Churchill via Winnipeg.
I still think that one or the other is better than trying to drive a rental across the border.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 08:49 AM

If you want to do a loop I would recommend Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Hinton and then take the Forestry Trunk Road back to Calgary. The Forestry Trunk Road is gravel and much wilder than anything in the National Parks but gives a totally different experience. There are a number of small towns just outside the forestry reserve such as as Sundre http://www.coolplaces/Sundre or Rocky Mountain House which have accommodation

HTH
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Basic question. Does anyone think we should NOT cut out Glacier National Park (US)/Waterton Lakes from the itinerary?
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 07:32 PM

IMO, it is usually too chilly to raft in Sept, though there was great weather in September this year. If you decide on Sept then consider a hike to Larch Valley near Lake Louise late in your trip as the larch trees changing is a magnificient sight. Avoid the weekends. Turn left when all the others are turning right.

Check out Buffalo Mountain Lodge in Banff and the Post Hotel in Lake Louise. The Post is really special and intimate with a lodgey flair. Their website doesnt do it justice...check out the pictures on tripadvisor

http://www.posthotel.com/posthotel/index.html

Kananaskis is an area that is easily accessed from Canmore and has a lot of outdoor opportunities, especially riding. OR you could fly into Assiniboine Lodge? Hike out?

http://www.assiniboinelodge.com/

YoHo National Park , near Field is not too far from Lake Louise.

Lots of options in the Banff area if you want to limit the driving.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 06:56 AM

Sorry Patrick...this is off topic and I posted a message to you in the Fodor's lounge...just hoping to get your attention! Please look there....it's about the apartment in Montepulciano!
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 01:55 PM
ron

Yes, Patrick, I think you should NOT cut out Waterton and Glacier.

If I were doing this from the States, I'd fly into Kalispell and do a clockwise loop, north into BC through Invermere, Radium, Kootenay NP, Banff/Lake Louise, Icefield Parkway as far as Columbia Icefields, then down to Waterton (perhaps via Kananaskis country), Glacier and back to Kalispell. Obviously, I'd skip Jasper.