My fiancé and I have flights booked to Greece in just under 3 months and we have a 1 hour and 10 minute layover in Canada on our way there. I received an OVI 4 years ago (traffic violation in the states, but it is considered a criminal charge in Canada) so I have learned that I am technically inadmissible. I have done a lot of research and have determined that my options are:
1. Show up at the border and hope that the Border Guard is not in a bad mood that day and grants me an OB 389(?)
2. Apply for a TRP (Temporary Resident Permit) on my own which there is no guarantee it would be processed in time (in fact it is likely to NOT process anywhere near in time)
3. Pay an Immigration Attorney $1,300+ to prepare the paperwork for me and get it in my hands to present at the border
We are unable to cancel our flights as they are through Air Canada and all have layovers in Toronto - so then we would have $2,100 in useless flight credits (not to mention the straight loss of $400 in change fees).
What I am WONDERING is how many people in my situation (1 time OVI, no other charges before or since, only "entering" the country for a quick layover) have actually been sent BACK to the states when showing up without the TRP paperwork in hand??? I am really trying to understand how often this happens.
I really appreciate everyone's POV =)
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 YAHOO @ Password Reset Contact 1:888:482:3831 YAHOO Tec*h supp0rt care 24/7
- 2 Car rental Montreal airport - anyone use Ace Rent a Car or NU Car Rental?
- 3 Montreal for new Years
- 4 BrITISH COLUMBIA IN 4 DAYS
- 5 2018 Road Trip to Alaska
- 6 Romantic restaurant in Toronto
- 7 Toronto - here we come!
- 8 Christmas in Quebec City
- 9 How long to drive from Vancouver to Jasper to Banff to calgary
- 10 Montreal,Quebec city and St Lawrence river
- 11 Two weeks in Nova Scotia
- 12 Canadian Rockies Timing for Summer 2018
- 13 Montreal for New Years
- 14 Babymoon Destination
- 15 Neighbourhoods recommendation in Vancouver, BC
- 16 Music and Scenery in Mova Scotia
- 17 My Family Travle Vlog
- 18 Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle versus Delta Hotels by Marriott
- 19 Ottawa in December
- 20 Canadian Rockies in late June, 2018
- 21 Quebec City Cozy Pubs
- 22 Quebec City/Montreal for Christmas
- 23 Aug or Sep Trip to Cape Breton
- 24 Montreal & Quebec City
- 25 Victoria in December