Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Canadian Bacon in Windsor (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/canadian-bacon-in-windsor-395724/)

edeevee Feb 5th, 2004 11:58 AM

Canadian Bacon in Windsor

Last spring I took my daughter and two of her friends to see a concert in Detroit. We stayed at the Omni Riverfront and could see Canada across the water. The girls got teh idea they wanted to have canadian bacon -- in Canada -- for breakfast. It sounded like a fun little side trip.

It wasn't. It had been a couple of years since I'd crossed an international border and, well, times have changed. We were stuck in no man's land for about a half hour while we received a very stern lecture from on e of your mounties, then another lecture when they finally let us back in the US side.

It's time to go to another concert and I'd like to try this again. I was so flustered the first time that I can't recall all the rules and regulations. does anyone know what I'll need to get myself, my daughter and three unrelated minors into Canada?

And, assuming they let us in this time, where's a good spot for breakfast?

Thanks.

lolly Feb 5th, 2004 12:18 PM

Why did you get lectured at each border? Usually you need a birth certificate or some other proof of citizenship to get into Canada. Each of the kids would need this too.

atilla Feb 5th, 2004 12:27 PM

In these times of heightened security GET PASSPORTS! That is the surest way of passing through the Can/USA border without hassles.

GaryA Feb 5th, 2004 12:46 PM

Definately it's not quite as easy to cross the border since 9/11 but the vast majority of the difficulties are experianced with the US Inspectors so - as with the above posts - I can only assume you tried to cross with only drivers' license for yourself and even less for your daughters. Remember that you need proof of citizenship - not just residence - and if you were born in the states a birth certificate combined with picture ID is usually enough but nothing beats a passpoprt. If you wern't born in the states you need a citizenship or voter registration card but in that case for sure you should have a passport.

The unrelated minors will also need notarized letters from their parents authorising authorising you to take them across into Canada. Otherwise they could suspect that you're kidnapping them or something.

Finally - in Canada we call Canadian Bacon 'back bacon'.

wow Feb 5th, 2004 01:50 PM

Gary is right that a birth certificate plus picture id for each of you should be enough. If you have passports, of course, bring those.
On the issue of crossing the border w/ minors who are not your children, you never know what will happen! It all depends on the guard & what he/she had for breakfast! Maybe you can ask about Canadain bacon! Anyway...I always get a note from the parents (both parents to sign & if one parent is deceased a death certificate). This does not have to be a "notarized" form. Sometimes I prepare a letter & ask the parents/guardian/s to sign it. Sometimes I simply ask them to give me one. The letter shd state:
1.That they are the parents or guardian/s of x
2.Their address
3.Their phone number
4.That x has permission to travel w/ you.
I've done this many, many times for border crossings by car or when flying. I have only been asked for my "Permission to Travel" letter once but I was glad I had it! I think that having the proper documentation helps you relax & when you are relaxed the border guards can "sense it". When you are nervous they seem to have the ability to sense that too! Enjoy your trip & your back bacon (which BTW Conon O'Brien says is not really bacon at all but "round pieces of fried ham"!!!) One more thing: If you think there may be a problem getting in touch w/ the parents/guardian/s in the unfortunate case that a medical emergency arises, you shd also have them consent to having you make emergency medical decisions for their minor child. Shouldn't be a problem in your case b/c you are only going Detroit/Windsor. Don't know how far you are from Detroit.

edeevee Feb 5th, 2004 06:45 PM

Thank you all for your help.

Ahh, the whole lecture is coming back to me now. There was definitely some mention of kidnapping, along with some vigorous finger shaking and, finally, gifts of Welcome to Canada! pencils for my daughter and her friends ;^)

Now, where to eat once we get over there -- and what goes good with back bacon anyway?

Borealis Feb 5th, 2004 07:20 PM

Back bacon (or "Canadian" bacon) is just bacon that is much leaner than ordinary bacon. It goes with anything that regular bacon goes with, such as eggs etc. You could also have it instead of ham with Eggs Benedict.
And if you want to try a British approach, have back bacon with fried tomatoes - yum!!