Notices

Canada West tour for 7 days

Apr 7th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Canada West tour for 7 days

I am planning to visit west coast for Banff, Jasper, Calgary, Edminton for sightseeing only.
Please suggest me the itirnery and the places must to visit.

Dates: 19 May - 26 May 2012
Apr 7th, 2012, 11:38 AM

I don't see Edmonton as a sightseeing town. Others may disagree. I see Edmonton as an alternative airport to Calgary.
Banff is quite expensive as tourist towns go. You can see the most beautiful Canadian Rockies scenery in the Jasper area without paying the premium prices of Banff.
Are you spending any time in Vancouver?
Would you consider riding the ViaRail Canadian to Jasper instead of flying to Calgary or Edmonton?
You can rent a car in Jasper if you want to drive south on the Icefield highway as far as Banff or Lake Louise.
Be sure to visit the Maligne Valley near Jasper.
For a solo trip I like riding the train and also the HI Hostel about 4 mi. SW of Jasper.
Where are you coming from?
Apr 8th, 2012, 04:15 PM

The west coast and the Rockies are quite a distance apart - 800 km or more. If you are driving from Vancouver, it's an 8 to 12 hour drive (just driving time), depending on whether you're going to Jasper or Banff. You would be better to fly into Calgary (1.5 hours to Banff) or Edmonton (4 hours to Jasper), rather than Vancouver if the main focus of your trip is the Rockies.

Some of the seasonal roads will not yet be open in the Rockies (the Moraine Lake road in Banff National Park, the Cavell Road in Jasper NP), and the glacial lakes (Louise, Bow, Maligne etc.) will still be ice-covered (the ice usually comes off in the first week of June). The boat cruise on Maligne Lake will not yet be operating, but driving up the valley is still worthwhile, to see Athabasca Look-Out, Maligne Canyon, Medicine Lake and Maligne Lake.

I agree re: Edmonton. West Edmonton Mall is popular, but other than the attractions there, like the waterpark and the Galaxyland rides etc., it's just a mall, with all the same shops you'll find in any other Canadian mall.

The town of Banff, being almost twice the size compared to the town of Jasper, has more hotel accommodation in the lower end of the budget range than Jasper does. Jasper, however, has a lot of "private home accommodations" - rooms or suites in a resident's home, to fill the need for economical accommodation - www.stayinjasper.com .

Search this Thread