Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Canada's Wonderland Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/canadas-wonderland-question-413874/)

canuckuphereathome Mar 22nd, 2004 07:49 AM

Canada's Wonderland Question

Granddaughters visiting this summer-if we go during the week, is it still crazy busy? Is there one day better than another? Are there $$ off coupons we can get anywhere? Any strategies for spending the day there? Eateries? etc. etc. Thanks.

lolly Mar 22nd, 2004 02:47 PM

Weekdays are usually not too crowded. Have been on a Tuesday and a Thursday in July. Park opens at 10:00 am and parking is around $5. We have always had fun there. My sister works at a hospital in SW Ontario and they get tickets at a reduced rate. Ask people you know if they can get discounted tickets for you through work. I jotted down a few things on our last trip that I will share with you:
We took a picnic lunch one year - it was a hassle. We bought lunch last year. It was expensive - 2 burgers with fries, chicken fingers with fries a side order of fries 1 pop and 1 water was $38.00. The water park gets VERY crowded in the afternoon. If you do the water park go as early as possible. Also if you go to the water park wear your bathing suit under your clothes and bring undies in a bag with your towel. Then you only need to use the change room after the water park. This is because the ladies change room in particular, is very crowded. Also the lockers were $5. If you are all going to participate in the water park you will need the locker for your valuables.There are lockers near the front gate that are less crowded than the water park lockers, but not convenient. Wonderland has a great website you should check out. Also we had one kid in tears last year as she was too short to obtain the orange armband that allows passage onto the "good" rides. (54" tall). If you need more info just ask.

canuckuphereathome Mar 23rd, 2004 04:52 AM

Thanks Lolly for the info. Does the pass include both the rides and the waterpark? I'm tempted to pass on the waterpark and concentrate on the rides - enough there to keep us going for the full day? Is it far to walk from the park to the parking lot if you leave snacks in the car? Why was picnic a hassle? Thanks for all the info and I'll check out the website.

sportjohn1 Mar 23rd, 2004 02:33 PM

If you or anyone you know are CAA members, they offer a great discount. The tickets have to be ordered from CAA. If you just show your card at the gate you only get $2 off.
The tickets include the waterpark, but I agree, you must start early to avoid huge crowds. As for lunch, a lot of people bring a cooler and leave it in the car. You can get a stamp for reentry, and relax on the the grassy hill beside the park while eating your lunch and saving a lot of $$.

lolly Mar 23rd, 2004 03:40 PM

Sportjohn's picnic idea is a good one. It would be a nice break and you could bring some fruit and healthy food rather than greasy fast food. It takes a while to go back to the car, but you could work that in to your park route. For example go in to the left side of the park in the morning, come out for lunch up the middle and go back in on the right side after lunch. Depending on the ages of the kids: little ones will enjoy Hanna barbera land, Scooby doo's Haunted Mansion etc. The shows in the theatre throughout the day are a good way to get out of the sun for a while. Older kids (12 and up)will want to concentrate on rides and also may insist on the water park. You can spend a day without going to the water park. The popular rides ex. Cliffhaner, Top Gun, Drop Zone and Wild Beast usually have a 30 minute wait. My daughter (10 years old) wants me to say "the fly" is a good ride. It takes your picture which you can purchase for 5$ as a momemto. Take sunscreen whether you intend to go to the waterpark or not. And above all, have fun with your grandchildren 'cuz Wonderland is fun!

michi Mar 23rd, 2004 04:50 PM

We live in the vicinity of Canada's Wonderland. As another poster mentioned, there is a great website you should study before going.

Although I've been on a number of occasions, we don't always stay till the end. Depending on the ages of your granddaughters and how far away your accommodations will be, we've enjoyed the closing/finale. Some times it is fireworks or special light/music displays. One year divers from the Wonderland mountain. All are exciting and good fun.

Again, depending on your granddaughters' ages, I think the waterpark is great fun and shouldn't be missed if they enjoy waterparks. Taking extra clothes is a good idyou can get soaked! If it's a cool you can imagine how cold one can get in wet clothes even in the daytime; at night worse. If it's hot, then it's great even at night.

The picnic idea outside the park (but on the grounds) is good because the food inside is expensive and not very good. Or, with the re-entry stamp you can scout around for restaurants in the vicinity. This is actually a good break and we've done it.

There are some fast food places not far away (the Park is in the southeast corner of Hwy 400 (runs north and south) and Major Mackenzie (east and west) -- known as Major Mac. Get out to Major Mac and turn right (east) and travel a short distance for some of the fast food restaurants. We like Swiss Chalet but you'll need directions. The area is developing fast and there may be restaurants around I don't know about.

The suggestion you try for CAA reduced tickets is a good idea. We get them and I believe they may sell them to you even if you're not a CAA member (not sure). The reduction per ticket is worth it.

There are some very good free attractions included so you should check the events timetables posted inside the front gate and on the Wonderland pamphlet given you when you come in. Get more than one since they are easily misplaced and if you want to go in different directions you'll need them.

A weekday is better but at peak can be busy on a nice day.

How old are your grandchildren and where are you coming from?