Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Can half of the US move to Canada? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/can-half-of-the-us-move-to-canada-484250/)

wliwl Nov 4th, 2004 07:17 AM

Can half of the US move to Canada?

Pretty please? We promise we'll be good!

BowenLinda Nov 4th, 2004 08:26 AM

Oh dear... come for a visit anyway. Chins up!

BowenLinda Nov 4th, 2004 08:27 AM

Oops, presumably you have just one chin (unlike me)!

wow Nov 4th, 2004 11:26 AM

sure but we don't have stem cell research either....& SSM is controversial in some parts of Canada too! But we'd love to have you anyway!

jnn1964 Nov 4th, 2004 11:47 AM

This was actually a serious discussion in my office today. Several people are looking into Canadian citizenship requirements. I doubt they will follow through, but they're feeling very unwelcome as gay people in their own country.

wliwl Nov 4th, 2004 12:12 PM

It's also a fairly serious conversation among those of us with teenagers, worried about a draft. Some of us can only think about one thing - getting away from the lies, the fear mongering, the hate, the phony religiosity and the downright sliminess of the Bush administration and the people who support him. (Now I'll probably land on the Do Not Fly List.)

Not to mention, we sure would like a flu shot...

No seriously, I just want the world to know that there are MANY Americans who are feeling today almost as bad as we felt the day after Sept 11. The difference is, then we felt a unity with our fellow Americans; today we feel very alienated and disappointed.

starfish1 Nov 4th, 2004 03:13 PM

wliwl, I am a Canadian citizen but lived in the states in the 60's when prejudice, discrimination and Vietnam were running rampant. Only after these election results were announced, did I get that same sick, pit of the stomach feeling that I felt back then. So disappointing. I can't imagine how hard it must be to accept that you have another four years of deception. Many Canadians are feeling your disappointment too and are hoping you can come to some reconciliation with the situation. We are thinking about you and wishing you peace.

wliwl Nov 4th, 2004 04:32 PM

Thank you very much. What a nice message.

wow Nov 4th, 2004 05:10 PM

starfish1....well said...my US friends are not happy. I am going to send them your message.

Hagan Nov 4th, 2004 05:35 PM

Thanks to all of you fine Canadians for your warm thoughts. No wonder your country has a reputation for making people feel welcome!

Yes, it is unfortunate that most of the world will feel like ALL Americans are supportive and eager for another 4 years of this "Moron Majority".

Having had the privilege of traveling to Asia and Europe during the last 6 or 7 years, I feel like I am, first, a citizen of the world, and second, a citizen of the U.S. I know many do not in any way share that view. But travel has opened my eyes to the beauty and uniqueness of many different peoples and cultures now, and I love and feel part of each of them.

Thanks again to you lovely Canadians.

HogtownJim Nov 4th, 2004 11:47 PM

The North American Free Trade (NAFTA) permits Canadians with certain classes of occupations (eg Computer Analyst) to work in the States. I have worked in Miami, Chicago, Columbus, Boston, Manhatten and Detroit.

A similar right exists for Americans working in Canada.

ginocat Nov 5th, 2004 06:43 AM

You are not alone. I am in the accommodation business and this past year I had several American couples who were in BC checking out property with the intent to move up here. Two couples have kept in touch and are making plans at this very moment.
Of course the problem is (as much as we love to have you move to our wonderful country) if all you fine people move up here who's going to be left in the USA to fight the good fight??

bettyo70 Nov 5th, 2004 08:05 AM

I am from New York City and have never seen and felt such sadness on November 3rd since the aftermath of September 11! My first thought was BRAZIL...but then I thought, that is what the conservative crowd wants me to do -- give up and run!
No way! As a native New Yorker, I am going to stay here and FIGHT for a better country. And then I will go to Brazil when I retire...
Cheers, Everybody! Strength and love always win...

jette Nov 5th, 2004 08:22 AM

I am a mother of 2 kids now in their early 20's and terrified of what the next 4 years holds. My thought more and more in the last 2 days is where I will go to protect them as I don't believe for one minute that shrub will not reinstitute the draft.
I can't remember ever being this distressed about an election and honestly, it's embarrasing to me what the rest of the world must think!
I would never heve thought a travel web site would actually bring me some sense of relief but it is good knowing there are some that feel the same as I do.

meyerinc Nov 5th, 2004 08:32 AM

When Kerry acknowledged his defeat, I literally cried. November 3 was a sad day indeed. This past summer, when we started throwing out ideas for our December trip to Canada, my BF and I joked that if President Evil won re-election we'd not only be vacationing in Canada, but that we'd be looking for jobs and apartments! Where do we sign up to be among the half that gets to move north?

atilla Nov 5th, 2004 11:12 AM

Hello to all our American friends. I hope you know that alot of us up here in Canada, and I suspect people around the world understand completely that your present leader was elected by only part of the population. It would be silly to view all Americans as having had a hand at putting him and his administration back into office. And we feel your pain.

bettyo70: I was in your beautiful city this past spring and fell in love with NYC. It hurts my heart to know that so many of you wonderful New Yorkers are feeling so disenfranchised. I can only hope for healing for all of you. To use 9/11 as a campaign platform is shameful.

wliwl Nov 5th, 2004 11:19 AM

Today was the first day I could even shed some tears for this country. Maybe that's a sign of healing? Here is a letter I sent to my newspaper (which they will never print):

"Regarding the presidential election: the D&C headlines on November 4th declared, "Moral values and integrity emerge as deciding factors." I, for one, will never understand how the modus operandi of the Bush administration - lying, spinning, secrecy, exclusion, aggression, environmental plundering, deficit spending, denying poor and working class people health care, and catering to the wealthy - could ever be construed as moral values. In spite of his phony pleas for unity, I will NEVER EVER join a team as fundamentally immoral as Bush's."

I read in the paper this morning that the Immigration web site for Canada is jammed with Americans looking for info. Hmmm...
Well, see you for skiing in Tremblant in December! Again, thanks for all your nice thoughts Canadians. I can't tell you how much we all aprreciate it.

TripleSecDelay Nov 5th, 2004 12:21 PM

"ginocat : Of course the problem is (as much as we love to have you move to our wonderful country) if all you fine people move up here who's going to be left in the USA to fight the good fight??"
BINGO.

cassidy2002 Nov 5th, 2004 12:44 PM

Thanks to all you wonderful Canadians!! I feel warm & fuzzy for the first time since I woke up on November 3rd with that ferret-eyed little weasel still my president. Well, not MY president, but the president of my country.

I got online at lunch that day & looked for properties near Vancouver (saw some lovely homes with beautiful views of mountains) but decided that I can't run from him or his cronies. Instead, I'm going to start my research now for the next election. I'm going to be a part of fighting the "good fight" for a candidate that I believe in and can actually respect. Who's with me!?!?!

cassidy2002 Nov 5th, 2004 12:51 PM

I just re-read my e-mail. Sorry for the ferret-eyed weasel comment. That was a bit uncalled for & beneath me. I apologize for the name calling.