VIA train berths

Old Feb 17th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VIA train berths

Traveling overnight in June from Vancouver to Jasper on VIA train. Plz advise on pros/cons of an upper berth vs. a 2-person cabin. Does the 2-person cabin have a bed? Does upper berth have better views than cabin? Are there upper berth cabins? Thank you.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 03:07 AM

I've travelled with my partner on the upper/lower berth. Loved it! The upper berth is folded against the wall during the day, and your comfy seat is open to the aisle so you can chat with your neighbours. In the evening the porter folds down the upper berth and draws a curtain across so you have privacy. The seats below become the lower berth. Not a lot of room after you scramble up top but I think you could sit up in bed and read. Privacy might be an issue for you if you are travelling alone with a stranger in the lower berth. Washroom facilities are at the end of the coach and are quite adequate, though small.

The compartments,(yes, bed of course) have a door so can be quite private, or isolating, depending on your point of view. All windows are large so view is good no matter where.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 04:30 AM

Eliztravels has summed it up pretty well regarding berths. I've taken upper and lower berth in the past; the upper berth is cheaper than the lower berth. The disadvantage of the upper berth is that you have to climb up a ladder to get to it at night, but I've slept well in both.

The berth is folded into the wall so is inaccessible during the day. Every time I've taken a berth, there's been no one in the berth above or below. As a result of this situation, during the day, when I wanted to take a nap, I could push the two seats together and sleep comfortably.

Whichever you choose, it's a gorgeous ride and a lot of fun. Head to the dome car as soon as you've settled in. Some of the activity coordinators (in the dome car or games car) are really terrific and make for an amusing, educational ride!

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 05:32 AM

My husband and I travelled on VIA from Jasper to Vancouver in a two person cabin. It is quite roomy with large chairs and during the night they are turned into upper and lower berths. The berths are roomy but the only complaint we have is the ladder to the upper berth is narrow and my husband had trouble climbing up and down with his wide feet! It was a wonderful trip and the staff on VIA were helpful, friendly and youthful. From what I understand I think VIA is upgrading these cabins/trains on this route.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 05:54 AM
ltt

i've never had a cabin so i can't comment. except that laying in a berth, with the rocking motion, drove my sister nuts. i've only traveled in the economy seats. i have never found the train full so managed to "save" two seats next to each other so i could spread out at night. in june, our daylight hours are long. i only slept a few hours during the night as i wanted to see the scenary and found the seats quite comfortable. and remember you have access to the dome car during the day. i don't know what the cost difference is but for one night, i'd stay in my seat and for me, i know i would not want to deal with a ladder.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 05:57 AM
ltt

sorry, one more note if sleeping in economy...bring along a pillow and a blanket or warm cloths. i did find it cool.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 03:26 AM

The rocking motion is one of the attractions of a train ride for me, but it's not for everyone. When we did Via from Toronto to Vancouver there was an older,newly married couple on their honeymoon. He had arranged it as something wonderful as she had never travelled by train, and she hated it. And then in Australia we met a couple who had travelled across the continent on a train with a a newer type of tracks which didn't have the classic click clack motion, and they felt cheated. Each to their own.