Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to split 3 nights between Quebec City and Montreal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2014, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
We're driving from Toronto to Montreal/Quebec for 3 night in May. Initially we booked 3 night in Montreal thinking we can have a day trip to Quebec. Is this best or should we do 2 nights Montreal then 1 night Quebec City. We're driving back to Toronto.

Thanks
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

The driving time between Quebec and Montreal is longer than I thought. Can someone tell me which is closer to Toronto, Quebec City or Montreal please. thanks
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 05:57 AM

C'mon! You haven't left home and you are already lost! Go to Google's maps and get some realistic idea of the geography. I don't know where you are coming from (in all senses) but three nights is barely enough for one of those cities by itself. And, to sound a little less grumpy, either one will be a great experience.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 06:42 AM

Pick one or the other, or add 2 nights... your driving time is almost a full day...
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks garyt22, I think you are right.
Southam, please take your grumpiness on someone else. If I annoyed you, simply just don't bother replying.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 01:09 PM

Southam needs to be jolted as to his snarky response..Why must some people respond so poorly???
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 02:46 PM

reading someones' humor can sometimes sound short or mean... but the clear intent of that response is that the original poster should check out what they are getting into before asking... if you can use this website, you could check a map site first...

Esperanza now knows they are asking about a trip that involves several hundred kilometers in driving for a too short vacation in two of North America's great cities...
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 09:08 AM

"Can someone tell me which is closer to Toronto, Quebec City or Montreal please. thanks"

NO. Look at a map for yourself.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 10:47 AM

Well, a little Canadian bitch-fest. Who would have thought ...
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 04:16 PM

Don't count Canadians by the rude remarks of one or two of many!!! And dulcius...sometime maps don't give a true picture of distances/times. So we have 25% of responses rudely stated (not counting this one)on this post... how sad!!Please excuse the ill manners of some and don't let them spoil your trip.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 04:29 PM

Just did the math..Toronto to Quebec City 810 KM = approx 503 miles
Toronto to Montreal 539 KM = 335 miles
Montreal to QC 270 KM + 167 miles
A long drive unless you are up to this distance for only 3 days but as I said don't let anything stop you as the 2 places are worth a visit. Probably 10 plus hours to QC. Look around briefly, stay over night then head to Montreal
briefly look around then back to what is believed by some to be the center of the universe. It is doable but you won't see much and parking will be $$$ unless you stay at a hotel with parking.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 07:21 PM

Amer_can, ANYONE who took the time to look at a map would see that Montreal is closer than Quebec city. A map ALWAYS gives a true picture of distance. Duhhhhh.

Someone who is too lazy to look at a map for themself does not deserve any consideration.

As for your suggested Montreal and Quebec City itinerary, that is beyond laughable. Why not just look down as you fly over?
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 06:36 AM

I understand that it can be exasperating when someone asks a question that can be answered by a brief glance at a map, but there's no need for rudeness--simply ignore the post and move on.

However let's look at the problem from a different point of view. Esperanza 77 has stated a desire to visit Montréal or Québec City or both with 3 nights away from Toronto, and intends to drive. I'm assuming that based on the geography question that he/she is not from Canada or even North America.

If that's the case, then surely the car is a rental. Why not look at other forms of transport, as a car is not really necessary in either city and the driving (especially to Québec City) would take up the most part of two days, and leave little time at all for a visit? It's also a fairly boring drive.

The most convenient way would be to fly. Porter Airlines flies from Toronto City airport (on Toronto Island, right downtown) and has well over a dozen flights daily to Montréal (1:10 hrs) and at least one daily direct to Québec City (1:30). This would certainly give one the most time in either city.

Via Rail is somewhat less expensive and has good train service to Montréal and Québec City from Toronto, but the latter requires a change in Montreal, and would take much of a day in either direction. The fastest trains from Toronto to Montreal take just under 5 hours. Montréal to Québec is about 3 hours.

There is so much to see in each city that I would only choose one. If you do want to visit Québec City, then fly by Porter. It has frequent sales, so can be quite affordable.

Which city you choose will depend on your interests--you'll need to do some research to decide.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 07:31 AM

My guess (and I admit it is a guess) is that the OP is going to Toronto for a week laverendrye and probably also plans to visit Niagara Falls. All in one week. No real thought or research having been done as the distance question clearly indicates.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 09:47 AM

I'm sure no matter what they decide to do, that their trip will be "sweeter after difficulties" especially after the help from their new friend Fergusson...
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 02:17 PM

Hi Esperanza!

Having made that trip a number of times, I would say that it all depends on whether you want to do more driving at the beginning of your trip or at the end.

If at the beginning, I would drive through to Quebec City (it is 8-9 hours depending on your speed and the frequency of your pit stops!), stay 1 night (if you get there early, you can see a good portion of the old city, have a nice dinner, etc, then check out the Petit Champlain the next morning), then drive the three hours to Montreal and spend two nights. Then your trip home will be only 5 hours from Montreal instead of 8-9 from QC.

There's my two cents worth! No matter what, I hope you enjoy both cities!