Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Calgary to Glacier - Where to stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/calgary-to-glacier-where-to-stay-790098/)

luvtotravl Jun 14th, 2009 06:52 PM

Calgary to Glacier - Where to stay?

We have a trip planned to Glacier and Banff in a few weeks, but haven't lined up our first few nights of lodging. We will be flying in and out of Calgary, and want to spend the first 3 days in Glacier, and the last 6 days in Banff. We will be staying in a condo at the Banff Rocky Mountain Resort, but still need loding for our first 3 nights. Any suggestions on where to stay the first night between Calgary and Glacier? Our flight arrives around noon. Also, has anyone heard of the Great Northern Whitewater Raft & Resort near West Glacier? Their cabins look nice, but they have a no cancellation policy, so I'm a little nervous. Thanks in advance for any advice!

ShelliDawn Jun 15th, 2009 06:35 AM

Which Glacier park, the American one or the Canadian?

luvtotravl Jun 15th, 2009 09:24 AM

Sorry, the US Glacier National Park. We would like to spend the first few days of our trip in Glacier/US, and then the rest of it in the Banff area. We're not sure where is the best place to stay between Calgary and Glacier/US.

ShelliDawn Jun 15th, 2009 03:53 PM

The drive from Calgary to Waterton is 2-3 hours. Although I'm not sure how much more time you'd have to add to get Glacier, I can't imagine it being more than an hour. So, you could definitely make it all the way in one day.

I would recommend that you take highway #22 (through Black Diamond, Turner Valley and Pincher Creek) south from Calgary (versus #2) as it is a much more scenic route and doesn't add that much more time.

LarryBernath Jun 16th, 2009 05:52 AM

Just returned from a trip to the Canadian Rockies that included three nights in Jasper, two in Banff, three in Waterton. Waterton is part of the international peace park with Glacier NP in Montana.

Shintangle Springs B&B gets our highest recommendation for lodging close to Waterton/Glacier. About ten minutes from the Waterton Park gate, 22 minutes from the US border (Chief Mountain), about an hour to St. Mary's entrance to Going to the Sun Road. Spacious, modern rooms and hearty breakfasts. It is just under three hours from Calgary airport to this B&B.

Waterton Park is a quaint mountain village that provides better dining options than any place on the east side of Glacier, which is in the Blackfeet reservation. You can take a two-hour boat ride down the lake from the village, crossing the US border about half way, stopping at Goat Haunt ranger station at the far end. Good hiking, canoeing and kayaking at Waterton also.

luvtotravl Jul 11th, 2009 07:18 PM

We just returned from our trip (it was great!). Thanks for the advice about the B&B's near Waterton, ours was super.