Search

Best place for 1 night stop between Vancouver & Calgary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2009, 01:19 PM
kc1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best place for 1 night stop between Vancouver & Calgary

We are driving from Vancouver to Calgary, leaving on July 26th. Can anyone recommend the best place to stop for 1 night between these two cities? Some place "cheap and cheerful" would be fine, but we are also willing to splurge for something a little more special. We will not have any time to sight-see, but would like to stay in a location that has great dining either at the hotel or nearby.
Thanks so much for any suggestions!
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM

Most people use Kamloops as a pit stop when driving between Vancouver and Calgary. it is about 5-6 hours either side of each city so a good resting place.

You can easily google hotels for Kamloops. Nice scenery...but to be honest I haven`t actually stayed in Kamloops in years, so not sure what type of hotels they offer. It`s been growing like crazy though so I am sure there are some good pics.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 02:32 PM

MMMM...another option is Revelstoke, which is just west of the Rockies and about 3-4 hours from Calgary (I think???).

the Regent Inn is really nice and cheerful. Revelstoke has a great historical area and has some nice bars and restaurants and has music in the city square in the summer evenings.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 05:51 PM

I would prefer Revelstoke or maybe somewhere around Sicamous or Salmon Arm if you don't want to go quite as far as Revelstoke the first day. I think Kamloops is kind of yucky and also it's only about 3-4 hours from Vancouver. If it were me I'd want to get a little further east the first day.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 03:52 PM
kc1
Original Poster

kc1 here....
Well it looks like we'll be staying in Revelstoke overnight. Could anyone suggest the best place to have dinner in Revelstoke on a Sunday night? And how about breakfast on a Monday morning?
Thanks for any replies!
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 02:18 AM

For dinner in Revelstoke, I'd go to the Woolsey Creek Café.

Unless you want a big breakfast, my choice would be the Tim Horton's on the highway. If you do want a big breakfast, the Frontier (also on the highway) is a Revelstoke institution.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
kc1
Original Poster

kc1 here again....thanks to all who replied to my question...we ate the Woolsey Creek Cafe in Revelstoke, as suggested by "Laverendrye", and it was incredible! We liked it so much that we ate there again on our way back to Vancouver. Wish we had a restaurant like that closer to home!
Thanks again!
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 03:01 PM

If you want a spot that may be a little more expensive but near some very scenic views, how about the motel on Rogers Pass in the Canadian Glacier Park. It is not quite as far as Revelstoke; and it is a little isolated, but you would have a chance to see a little of Glacier. One other negative is that you may have to buy a park pass.
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 03:02 PM

oops too late
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 02:25 PM

KC1- Which hotel did you stay? I am making this trip in October and would like to stay in a safe and relatively cheaper hotel. Can this trip be done in one day? Anything I should know to be safe? Thanks