Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Calgary Question...help judy! (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/calgary-question-help-judy-629439/)

visormom Jul 8th, 2006 07:12 PM

Calgary Question...help judy!

We are arriving Calgary airport en route to Jasper. We'd like to stop and pickup some groceries, fan, etc...Judy (if you're listening), I have printed your maps, and I am in hopes that a Safeway or Target or the likes...is somewhere along either of your routes out of Calgary. Thanks so much for ALL your help...Arriving in 6 more days..yea!!

Judy_in_Calgary Jul 8th, 2006 08:40 PM

Hello visormom,

Probably your best bet is to buy groceries at the Safeway in North Hill Shopping Centre on 16th Avenue at the intersection of 14th Street NW.

North Hill Shopping Centre also has a Sears. Directly across 16th Avenue from North Hill Shopping Centre there is a Home Depot.

As you leave the airport complex, follow the sign to "City Centre." This will take you south on Barlow Trail (Hwy #2A).

When you reach the TransCanada Highway / Hwy #1 / 16th Avenue, turn west (right).

Continue west on 16th Avenue till you reach North Hill Shopping Centre.

They are widening 16th Avenue, so there is some construction taking place. However, the effect on traffic isn't nearly as bad as it looks, especially outside of rush hour.

When you've completed your shopping at North Hill, just continue west on 16th Avenue NW. When the road exits Calgary it becomes the TransCanada Highway (Hwy #1), and it leads all the way to Banff and Lake Louise.

Just after Lake Louise you'll turn onto the Icefields Parkway (Hwy #93) to go to Jasper.

Even without the stop for groceries, I believe it would take you at least 7 hours from the time that you land until you reach Jasper. It takes about an hour to clear immigration and customs at the airport. It takes about 5 hours to drive to Jasper. In addition to that, you'll get hungry and will want to stop for a meal somewhere along the way.

During the busy summer months there can be a line up of 20 minutes or so to buy a national parks pass at Banff National Park's east gate. Only today I learned from a phone call with the Visitor Information Centre in Banff that the Husky gas station at Dead Man's Flats, which you reach just before Canmore, sells national parks passes.

visormom Jul 9th, 2006 09:08 AM

Judy, I can't thank you enough for all your assistance in planning our (and so many others) trips. People like YOU (and Budget Queen for you Alaska travelers) are what makes this website invaluable!!!

Is Canamore between Calgary and the NP? That would be a terrific suggestion!!! Thank you so much....5 days!!!!! :)

Judy_in_Calgary Jul 9th, 2006 11:58 AM

You're most welcome, visormom.

Yes, if you're driving westwards from Calgary, you reach Canmore a short distance before the east gates of Banff National Park.

Canmore used to be a coal mining town. When the coal mine closed, it went through a phase as an artists' mecca. Then it grew to provide overflow accommodation for Banff.

Now there are a few condos, etc., at a place called Dead Man's Flats (what a name!), which you reach just before Canmore. I guess you could say that Dead Man's Flats provides overflow-overflow accommodation.

If you don't have any particular reason to go to Dead Man's Flats or Canmore, the TransCanada Highway bypasses them. So, under normal circumstances, they don't slow your drive down at all.

visormom Jul 9th, 2006 07:58 PM

Would you think that to save time we'd be wise to stop at Husky Gas Station to purchase tickets or chance the line at the park entrance? Hopefully, it won't be too bad. We'll be arriving in the afternoon. We can't wait to visit your beautiful backyard....big hugs from Texas

Judy_in_Calgary Jul 9th, 2006 08:33 PM

Yes, I think the Husky station at Dead Man's Flats would be a good idea.

At this time of year, what with Stampede taking place and all, you could find yourself lined up at Banff National Park's east gate for 20 minutes or so.

However, if you already have a national parks pass, you can use the far right lane that bypasses the toll booths at the park gates.

brookwood Jul 10th, 2006 05:40 AM

I think there is a nmore conveinent grocery store - a Safeway - located on the east side of the Barlow Trail at 32nd street. The complex is a few blocks east past the Greenwood. There is also a bracnh of Scotia Bank in the same area and a drug store just across the street that has just about everything you would find in a CVS including medicines.

That location leaves you positioned to get out of town toward Jasper.

Reverse your route to the Barlow Trail, then turn north to McKnight. Turn west on McKignt and follow it as it changes to John Laurie. Stay on John Laurie until it intersects with Stoney Trail.

Turn south on Stoney Trail and you will intersect with the Trans Canada. Turn west when you reach the Trans Canada well to the west of central Calgary.

the route follows along the south side of Nose Hill Park which has no streets issuing from it to intersect with John Laurie, so the route is essentially clear all the way to Stoney Trail.

I have used this route to make the trip from the airport, or the Greenwood Inn, several times, including last summer.

It works well for me with a minimum of twisting and turning. Not much of a way to get lost because the interface from McKnight to John Laurie is seamless, and the intersection with Stoney Trail is a major, well marked intersection as is the one with the trans Canada.

For our last several trips we have shopped at that particular Safeway and found it to be a very good one.

visormom Jul 10th, 2006 03:40 PM

thank you so much!

brookwood Jul 10th, 2006 06:39 PM

IF you don't want to fool with Calgary, and your priority is to head west, Canmore has at least two very nice grocery stores in it.

We have shopped there, too.

We were in Canmore last summer and it is a very modern, very pleasant small city.