Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary,Banff,Lake Louise,Jasper need help picking lodgeing & base camps

May 4th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

We plan to spend 12days the beginning of Sept. 2couples in our 50's flying into Calgary & going home from Calgary. Can anyone help us with an itinerary of how many nights to stay in these areas, and which areas to make our base camps, also if anyone could recomend Hotel/Motel/B&B/Lodges in a mountain setting but not a remote area looking to spend up to $175.00 a night.Have heard that Alpine Village in Jasper is nice and Beckers, Lake Louise Inn or Baker Creek, Twin Gables B&B in Calgary, what do you think. Does anyone know of a discout coupon book for hotels & attractions?
May 4th, 2004, 02:21 PM

Day 1 ? Calgary, drive 2 hours to Drumheller, stay at the Inn at Heartwood Manor.

Day 2 ? Spend the morning viewing the incredible dinosaur skeletons at the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller; drive to Edmonton in the afternoon. Overnight in Edmonton. When it comes to Edmonton accommodation, I?ll leave you in the capable hands of our Edmonton Fodorites. When our family goes to Edmonton, we usually stay with friends, so I?m not very familiar with hotels there.

Day 4 ? Spend the day in Edmonton. While I could suggest some activities in Edmonton, our Edmonton Fodorites would do a better job of that too.

Day 5 ? Drive to Jasper. I?ve never stayed at Becker?s but, as you?ve probably seen, it comes very highly recommended here at the Fodors Canada forum, and it?s in the price range you stipulated, so why not?

Day 6 ?Maligne Canyon, Maligne Lake, Angel Glacier. Overnight in Jasper.

Day 7 ?Mt. Robson Provincial Park. Overnight in Jasper.

Day 8 ? Drive the Icefields Parkway to Lake Louise. Stop at Athabasca Falls, Sunwapta Falls and Peyto Lake Lookout. Ride a snocoach on the Athabasca Glacier at the Columbia Icefields. Overnight in Lake Louise. Baker Creek Chalets is above the price range you specified. Lake Louise Inn is a clean, comfortable and friendly property, and I suspect you would like it just fine. For an excellent (but expensive) meal, dine at the Post Hotel or Deer Lodge while you?re in Lake Louise.

Day 9 ? Visit Moraine Lake, Takakkaw Falls, Emerald Lake. Overnight in Lake Louise.

Day 10 ? Drive Route #1A towards Banff, stopping to walk into Johnston Canyon till the Lower Falls at least. Take the gondola to the top of Sulphur Mountain just outside of Banff, and walk around the town of Banff. If you dislike packing and unpacking, you might want to return to Lake Louise for the night. An alternative would be to spend this night in Banff townsite or Canmore. I recommend Lady Macdonald Country Inn in Canmore.

Day 11 ? Drive to Calgary. You could do it in an hour on the TransCanada Highway (Hwy #1). However, it would be much more fun to drive the circuitous route through Kananaskis Country. Here?s a map. Drive from Canmore east to Seebe, then turn south on Hwy 40 through Kananaskis Village down to the spot on the map that says Highwood House, where Hwy 40 turns east and becomes Route 541. Turn north on Hwy 22 and make your way to Calgary via Black Diamond, Turner Valley, Millarville, Priddis, and Bragg Creek, which will then bring you into Calgary from the west on Hwy 8. If you stop in little towns like Bragg Creek to look at craft shops and such, you could almost make a day out of this. Anyway, here?s the map.

http://www.toloko.com/playing/kananaskismap.htm

Day 12 ? Look around downtown Calgary. Walk on the Stephen Avenue / 8th Avenue S.W. pedestrian mall. Look for souvenirs in the Canadiana section of The Bay department store. Having received its charter from King Charles II in 1670, The Bay (actually The Hudson?s Bay Company) is the oldest corporation in the world. Visit the western outfitting stores like Riley & McCormick?s. Check out the indoor Devonian Gardens on the fourth level of Toronto Dominion Square. Look at the ?Plus 15? overhead glass tunnels that connect the buildings and that enable us to walk through downtown Calgary without coats and boots in winter.

If you have enough time, walk northwards to the banks of the Bow River, walk along the tree-lined river path and, in the vicinity of Eau Claire Market, cross the foot bridge to the park that occupies Prince's Island.

Twin Gables is a fine place to stay. There is a very upscale restaurant, La Chaumiere, several blocks from there, which serves continental cuisine. Just a block from Twin Gables is a very pleasant East Indian restaurant called Rajdoot. It?s not nearly as upscale as La Chaumiere. Rajdoot is in what I would call a medium price range, but I like East Indian food, and I?m fond of Rajdoot. There are several other restaurants not far from Twin Gables. I?m sure the proprietor of Twin Gables would be able to make recommendations. I?ve always found B&B owners to be very helpful with information about the areas in which they?re situated.

If I've miscalculated the amount of time you have and you need to fly home on Day #12, I suggest you cut out one of the Jasper days.

There are no discount books that I'm aware of that would be useful to you. Maybe someone else knows something I don't in this regard.
May 4th, 2004, 02:33 PM

Judy, that was a wonderful itenerary-and you did them a Huge favor typing all that.

People should keep this as a roadmap for the whole area.
May 4th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Dear Judy, Can't thank you enough for all that information you gave me, which I will surely use, but shortly after I posted the message I called the airline to inquire about flying into Edmonton and home from Calgary, because I realized it might even be better. So I think thats what I will do, and I can still incorporate almost everything you recommended. Even on the day before I leave weather I'll be in Canmore or Calgary I can take a day trip to drumheller and back. Thanks so much again. Valerie

May 4th, 2004, 05:38 PM

You're very welcome. Hope you have a great trip.
May 6th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Doh

If it was me, I'd cut the Calgary day(s) and add it to Lake Louise (one day for LL, Moraine Lake, Emerald Lake and Takkakaw Falls doesn't look like enough time to me, even if you add in previous day on the Icefields Parkway), but it may depend on what your interests are.
May 6th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi Doh, Thank you for your response, that's another idea I'll take into consideration. Val