Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   By boat to gulf island and desolation sound (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/by-boat-to-gulf-island-and-desolation-sound-603281/)

pinelakemo Mar 28th, 2006 04:49 PM

By boat to gulf island and desolation sound

Hi
We will be traveling in our 26 foot boat to the gulf islands and desolation sound (starting from Anacortes, WA) for ten days at the end of July and are wondering about advice for a) the best islands to see/visit/explore b) the best beaches to shell at c) the best crabbing areas and d)the best accomodations that will accomodate our boat (ie dock or marina on site) while offering waterfront cabins or rooms with romantic surrounds, good food and a spa on site would be a major plus!).

Any and all recommendations would be appreciated. We are debating routes to take and looking specifically (unless someone gives us a better recommendation)at Poet's Cove Resort and/or Salt spring island resort in the Gulf Islands and April Point Resort (as a place to base out of for a few days in the desolation sound area.) Can anyone offer advice or a testimonial to these three resorts in particular?

Thanks

Sam_Salmon Mar 28th, 2006 06:42 PM

Crabbing is probably best on the north side of Savary Island.
April Point is run by a very MOR organisation and can be described as being '<i>in the Desolation Sound Area</i>' in the broadest sense only.
There a number of cruising books on the area-sadly my mind has gone blank and I can't remember any names right now-your local Marine Chandlery should carry a selection for your perusal.

BowenLinda Mar 29th, 2006 08:29 AM

We have sailed the southern and northern Gulf Islands, and the Desolation Sound area many times - beautiful, beautiful country.

A couple of comments:

1. 10 days for a return trip from Anacortes is not very long, so I suggest you do some research and identify your 2 or 3 must-sees, and plan accordingly.

2. The weather then should be good, but perhaps be prepared for more motoring than sailing (we usually venture out the last two weeks of Aug &amp; first week of Sept, and the wind then - in that area - is definitely lighter).

3. Prime boating season, so you'll be well-accompanied.

4. As Sam suggests, get some guide books and PROPER charts.

5. Consider anchoring rather than tieing up at a marina - that's the way you'll truly get the feel for this gorgeous area.

6. Some favourites over the years:

- Lund on the mainland, basically across from Savary Island; has mooring facilities, a few amenities, a funky litle place.

- Ballet Bay: beautiful, small anchorage.

- Harmony Islands: ditto.

- Tenedos Bay: anchor and walk in to the lake.

- Teakerne Arm on West Redonda: waterfall.

- Squirrel Cove, Cortez Island: good anchorage, great restaurant.

- Prideau Haven, Melanie Cove, Laura Cove: all beautiful but will be full of anchored boats.

Our versions of ideal sailing trips may be different - we obviously like to anchor and if we see another boat in the same cove, we consider moving on.

If you can tack on a couple of extra days, that would be ideal.

And next year, consider three weeks in the Broughton Archipelago (further north).

Have a great trip.

BowenLinda Mar 29th, 2006 09:27 AM

... and I can't believe I didn't include Princess Louisa Inlet (like going to Venice without seeing the Grande Canal - kinda).

pinelakemo Apr 3rd, 2006 08:06 AM

Thank you for all of this great info. We took a shake down trip up to the southern Gulf islands in the boat this weekend. I cannot recommend the salt spring island resort. Horrid sewer smell outside of the &quot;rustic&quot; chalets and a $22 cab ride from Ganges Harbor. The town of Ganges is charming with much to recommend. We did check out Poets Cove- looks wonderful.

We are trying to figure out our July itinerary to include some of your picks in the previous post.

Thank you!!