Toque -Restaurant in Montreal

Old Sep 20th, 1998, 10:48 AM
Perry

Toque -Restaurant in Montreal

My daughter in London England saw a recommendation in newpaper for a restaurant called Toque. We are going to Montreal in October. Has anyone been to Toque and is it really great? What district is it in? Does anyone have any other recommendations for restaurants?

Old Sep 22nd, 1998, 09:01 AM
Mike

Perry, <BR>Haven't been to it, but have heard of it for years...very highly rated. Ones that I can recommend are: Le 917, L'Entrepont, Le Passe Partout, L'Actuel(Belge), Chez Queue, Le Petit Extra, L'Express ( above for French Food), Luna (~Italian), Le Piment Vert(Chinese), The Beaver Club.. Areas for dining include St Laurent Street, St Denis Street, Old Montreal area, Prince Arthur Street(pedestrian street, lot of Greek rest.). <BR> <BR>Hopes this gets you started.

Old Sep 23rd, 1998, 06:11 PM
George Tesseris

Was there last month.... best meal of my life. They have a great prix-fixe menu with wine to match each course. <BR>Started with yellow tomato soup (served in an espresso cup), continued with tempura soft-shell crab, then foie-gras. Main course: venison or lamb, then a cheese plate (including a great one called epoisse - really French, really smelly), then finished with a plate of assorted desserts including an amazing creme-caramel. It's pricy (we spent about $150 per person all told) but worth every penny. Located on St Denis north of Sherbrooke (a 10 minute cab ride from the centre of town and the big hotels). Reserve well ahead!

Old Sep 24th, 1998, 06:34 AM
Perry

Thanks George & Mike. <BR>George did $150. include tip and taxes?

Old Sep 24th, 1998, 08:25 PM
George Tesseris

$150 included tax & tip for an all-out splurge... unlikely that you would spend any more than that. Expect $100 to $150 per person. Also, I might mention that the feel and decor of the restaurant is smart and comfortable but fairly unassuming. You probably would not expect it to be a "serious" restaurant from looking at it. But the food and service were anything but casual the night we were there. Everything exceeded our expectations.

Old Oct 4th, 1998, 05:28 AM
john

<BR>May I recommend @ restaurants in Montreal: <BR> <BR>Les Caprices de Nicolas <BR>2072 Drummond st. # 514 282 9790 <BR> <BR>Allumette <BR>3434 St Denis #514 284 4239

Old Oct 10th, 1998, 10:46 AM
Perry

Daughter and friend did go to Toque and loved it. Too pricey for us though. We went to Flambard's, a bring your own wine french restaurant and thought it was good food and good value. Will try your recommendations next time John. <BR>