Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Trip to Montreal and Quebec City with teen

Old Sep 4th, 2018, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the tickets, so it is official. I will be taking my 17yo GD on her first trip out of the US. In fact, other than driving with her family down to Florida a few times, she has not traveled at all. We do have a very good relationship. We will be going during her winter school break for a total of 7 days. My first choice was to take her to Europe but AA has chosen to quadruple the number of ff miles needed to do that for that week, so it is a non starter. I would like her to have experience with a somewhat different culture, as I did with her father, and be in a place where English is not the only language heard on the street so I chose these cities and particularly Quebec City based on these factors as well as price and availability of tickets (not using points) and travel time. We will fly into Montreal but plan to spend the most time in Quebec City and I also hope to take the 3hr trip up to the towns of Saint Jean - Port Joli if weather permits. I have fond memories of that place from a trip long ago and I know that she will like the wood carving and artisan focus of there, since she is into crafts and jewelry making - I expect her to bring home pieces of wooden jewelry.

Because of ticketing contingencies we will fly into and out of Montreal and proceed to Quebec from there. I still need to figure out the timing. Do we head up to QC upon landing at about 2pm or spend the night in Montreal and go up the next morning (since the flight is under 2 hours and time zone is similar, fatigue should not be a factor. My preference is to use public transportation for the the trip there and rent a car for a day or two once in Quebec to explore outside of the city. Or, we could rent a car at the airport and drive right up. We will return to Montreal the day before our flight home, so that will be our Montreal time.

One complication of sorts is that because I am traveling with a teenage GD, I need lodging that has two seperate sleeping spaces which cuts down on options - not a single room with two beds. GD is bipolar under good control this past year but still, because of that I do not want 2 hotel rooms. I found plenty of available airbnb type places in QC in convenient areas so no problem there, still another reason to concentrate our time in and about QC. I did find some options in Montreal.

I would appreciate your comments and ideas.
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 05:40 PM

If you have to go to Montreal, then you should give her a taste of Montreal too!

Montreal is mostly flat, as it is on an island... and thus probably more suitable to getting around in early winter than is QC.

So just find something convenient to your airport arrival and your departure for QC, and take a decent breath of Montreal both before and after visiting QC.

If I were 17... I think I would be more eager to return to school showing off Montreal attire than QC attire...

but with that said, QC is far more of an adventure. (you'll hear English all over the place in Mtl... but not so much in QC)

Hope you have fun.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses NWmale. I am still looking for the right place in Montreal and see quite a few listings in the Latin Quarter. It seems like it could be an interesting location for us, but I know nothing about other than what I read online. Do you or others have thoughts?
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 12:17 PM

We're in Montreal right now, after driving from Quebec City yesterday. It took us 3 hours with the stops. If I was landing at 2 pm I would not want to head off on a three hour drive and possibly arrive in the dark. But that's me. As for locations, we stayed in the old walled city in QC and we're downtown (near the free Barbie museum) for full walkability in Montreal. We were able to get Paul McCartney tickets at the Bell Center and walk there last night. It's a complicated city to drive and park, so we didn't want to bother with our car once we got to the city.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

We will overnight in Montreal on the way there and back, so should have the equivalent of a combined full day. Travel to QC on public transport. We have a reservation at the Hotel Faubourg for the first night and are considering the same place for our last night in Montreal. I chose that hotel primarily because I was able to get a bedroom with a sleep sofa in the living room - there is a door between so she can have her privacy, and the location seems reasonable, particularly with airport transportation nearby. The included breakfast is a plus. In QC we have a 2 br airbnb in the St Jean Baptiste area. If weather permits, I will rent a car and dat trip up to St Jean-Port Joli, a place of nice memories for me and I think she would find it of interest as well
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 06:03 PM

B’stoke, interested in your trip...I may be doing something similar in the coming Spring.
I look forward to your trip report.
Thank you.
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by auntgrapes
B’stoke, interested in your trip...I may be doing something similar in the coming Spring.
I look forward to your trip report.
Thank you.
Will do
Old Oct 30th, 2018, 02:23 AM

Amazing ideas...can't wait to explore.
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

We leave tomorrow and have our warm clothing - w will need it.

Note if you are traveling to Canada with a person under 18 who is not your own child. You will need a letter signed by both custodial parents giving you permission to take their child to Canada. The letter should have all of the pertinent details and have attached copies of their passports. If passports are not available, another type of positive legal identification for each parent with photo and address should be attached.

Will write TR on return.
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 06:36 AM

Your alternatives for going to QC from Montreal airport are not attractive. If you choose a rental car, the formalities of entering Canada and then getting the car should put you on the road just in time to be stuck in Montreal rush hour. Jams are inevitable for your route and sometimes immovable. They could add another hour to the trip, and teeth-grinding stress.
Both buses and ViaRail connect Montreal and Quebec, but from downtown stations. Getting from the airport to downtown is unfortunately awkward in both cities. The bus from Trudeau airport is a regular city vehicle with lots of stops. Public transit for the QC airport is basically taxi.

By the way, a car in either downtown Quebec or Montreal is a great pain, both for driving and parking.

So the less stressful itinerary would be flying to Quebec City with a Montreal connection built in to the ticket, then after your visit there either train or bus to Montreal,
and fly home. Use a multi-city search function for the air tickets.

On a cheerier note, both cities are rich with experiences for a young adult, which is how your guest will be perceived in the province of Quebec. Good luck/Bon chance!
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 10:48 AM

basingstoke- how sweet of you to take your GD on this trip. You're a good man.

Something you both might enjoy there is a ride on a horse drawn carriage through the streets of Old Quebec. A quick online search showed that some operate during the winter months. It would be especially magical and memorable in the evening under the soft city lights and glistening snow.

Keep in mind that Quebec French is nothing like France French, (think American English vs. British English), however it still has its charm with the rolled r's.

Some signature dishes you might want to try there are "tourtiere" - meat pie, "feves aux lards" - baked beans, and if you can find them, "petes de soeurs" (translated nun's farts) - a delicious pastry pinwheel cookie made with butter and cinnamon, and a most delectable fudge called "sucre a creme". Si bon! Quebec is a large province and some of the above may be regional, but I would think the tourtiere ubiquitous.

Oh and I just remembered "tarte au sucre" - sugar pie, a brown sugar, butter and cream filling in a pie shell. One of our family favorites.

Bon Voyage - I hope you enjoy your trip,
Boots
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boots08
basingstoke- how sweet of you to take your GD on this trip. You're a good man.

Something you both might enjoy there is a ride on a horse drawn carriage through the streets of Old Quebec. A quick online search showed that some operate during the winter months. It would be especially magical and memorable in the evening under the soft city lights and glistening snow.

Keep in mind that Quebec French is nothing like France French, (think American English vs. British English), however it still has its charm with the rolled r's.

Some signature dishes you might want to try there are "tourtiere" - meat pie, "feves aux lards" - baked beans, and if you can find them, "petes de soeurs" (translated nun's farts) - a delicious pastry pinwheel cookie made with butter and cinnamon, and a most delectable fudge called "sucre a creme". Si bon! Quebec is a large province and some of the above may be regional, but I would think the tourtiere ubiquitous.

Oh and I just remembered "tarte au sucre" - sugar pie, a brown sugar, butter and cream filling in a pie shell. One of our family favorites.

Bon Voyage - I hope you enjoy your trip,
Boots
Thank you boots. As you may have seen from the TR that I started on this forum, we are back. Yes, the horse drawn carriages were still operating but GD was not interested and it was super cold. I felt sorry for the horses standing out there. Too bad we did not have your food suggestions last week but we did have a few good meals interspersed with fast food.
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 12:27 PM

Ah didn't know you were going to post your TR on a different thread. Will go read your TR now.

Boots