camping in Yoho and Lake Louise

Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camping in Yoho and Lake Louise

Looking to spend a week hiking in the Yoho and Lake Louise area July 09. Questions:

1. Once we settle in, what is the least amount of driving? e.g., staying in Yoho and traveling back and forth to Lake Louise for the day, or staying in LL and driving back and forth to Yoho? Meaning, which has the heavier traffic in the morning - going east or going west?

2. Which campground is the most popular and most recommended ?

3. Does the Ohara bus pick up people at any campground in Yoho?

4. Which direction is more scenic when hiking Iceline and Whaleback - clockwise or counterclockwise?

5. How far in driving time is Wapta Falls from Emerald Lake?

Bob, Judy and others - hope someone reads this. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:59 AM

Regarding the Lake O'Hara bus - it picks up at a parking lot just off the highway. Reservations can be made three months before you want to go. Info is at Parks Canada's site: http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/YOHO/activ/activ15a_E.asp
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 01:57 PM

You will find that traffic in either direction is about even, except on Friday nights when it is much heavier westbound and on Sunday afternoons and evenings when the eastbound traffic is heavier.

If you plan to drive back and forth between Yoho Park and Lake Louise, then the two campgrounds near Field (Kicking Horse and Monarch)would be your best bet.

Wapta Falls is about a 30 minute drive from Emerald Lake. Remember that it's aboout a 45 minute hike from the parking lot to the falls.

I've not hiked the Whaleback, but I'm sure you'll get good advice from others.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:59 AM

We've stayed in the Kicking Horse campground and at Monarch. Try to get into Kicking Horse. Monarch is closer to the highway and flanked by rock wall that reflect the traffic noise into the campground. Given that the highway is a major shipping route and that the campground is at the bottom of the grade down from the pass, truck noise was bad all night as they used the "jake brake" to slow their descent.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 07:55 PM

The Whaleback Trail is a very spectacular but relatively short trail that has long approach routes.

The Whaleback itself has two starting places. One is near Twin Falls Chalet where hikers ascend the switchbacking trail to the upper part of the Yoho Valley.

Once you have reached the valley shelf you walk across a slight uphill and then drop downhill to Twin Falls Creek and the brink of Twin Falls.

After crossing the creek you ascend gradually to the high point of the trail from which the view is unbelievable. To the southwest you can see the peaks of the President Range. Due south the peaks around Lake Louise loom into view. To the east, both north and south, the Yoho Valley and the peaks on the other side of the valley are highly visible.

I have sat on the hillside there a couple of times and had my lunch while gazing at the sights around me.

The trail can also be accesed from the other end from the Little Yoho River but this approach requires a steep uphill climb often over deadfall. I see little merit to this approach. It is quickly descended, the other way is more difficult.

Now, getting to the start of the trail is another matter. First you must park in the Takkakaw Falls parking lot and take the Yoho River trail northward to Twin Falls. This trail is fairly level, but with ups and down until you turn west and ascend a steep section to Twin Fall Chalet.

The Whaleback itself starts near the chalet.

The distance is about 8 K.
By the time you return to the parking lot you will have covered about 20 K.
Hikers in good shape who move along at a good rate can do it one day. Old folks like me stay overnight at the chalet.
It is pricey, but is the only way for me to do it.

I would not worry about the traffic. It is about equal in terms of volume because you are driving the Trans Canada and there is a high degree of regular transit traffic rather than tourists.

If you are a tent camper, I suggest the Takkakaw Falls camp ground. It is tents only, and you will have to use one of the carts to carry your equipment to a camping spot.

The Lake O'Hara Bus going in picks up at a parking lot near the Trans Canada not far from the West Louise Lodge, but on the other side of the railroad tracks.

Near the Lake the bus stops 3 times: at the camp ground, at La Relais for day hikers, and at Lake O'Hara Lodge. These 3 places are fairly close together.