Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Boutique hotels - Montreal (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/boutique-hotels-montreal-573742/)

travelfly Nov 30th, 2005 02:27 PM

Boutique hotels - Montreal

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has feedback on boutique hotels in Old Montreal - Nelligan, Vieux-Port, Place D'Armes?

Any other suggestions?

We want something nice, romantic, quiet, good location.

Thanks!

christina79 Dec 1st, 2005 07:10 AM

I've never been but I hear these are all beautiful, romatic, nice places. A friend stayed at Place d'Armes and said it was fantastic.

letour Dec 1st, 2005 01:40 PM

We've stayed at Place d'Armes and really liked it. I think that it meets your criteria pretty well.

Jojonana Dec 2nd, 2005 09:25 AM

Forget Vieux-Port. Not up to par with the other two...

Mathieu Dec 2nd, 2005 12:20 PM

Yes, I stayed at the Nelligan about a year ago and very much enjoyed it.

Here's what I had posted about it on a past thread on this forum, around that time :

"...The restaurant at the Hotel Nelligan is called 'Verses' and it is rather good. The chef does a varied menu (featuring Quebecois and other cultural references) involving interesting ingredient combinations with delicious results.
Duck with orange foam, a trio of caviar in a frozen teaspoon, wild boar and cherry compote, sea bass with celeriac and ginger etc.

And speaking of the Nelligan, you can always count on this boutique hotel for a delightful stay. Exposed brick walls, oversized bath tubs and Miles Davis CDs to listen to on the B&O mini-sound system, while enjoying champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries that we found in our room when we got back from a late dinner..."

If I may add : Breakfast was also included in the room rate and consisted of fresh juice and coffee, above average pastries, fruit and baked savouries laid out on platters in the smallish bar/lounge, and eaten on tables in the little courtyard between the two old buildings that comprise the hotel.

mitchdesj Dec 3rd, 2005 02:42 AM

I work in old montreal; yes the nelligan seems to be an excellent place- it's located on a fun street with the nicest galeries being on that strip of st. paul.

merrittm Dec 7th, 2005 06:28 AM

ttt for research

kireland Dec 9th, 2005 12:13 PM

If it doesn't have to be in Old Montreal, the Saint Germain is a really nice boutique hotel that is accessible to pretty well everything. We have stayed there before and walked to Old Montreal for drinks and dinner (though not in the dead of winter).

Scarlett Dec 9th, 2005 08:47 PM

kireland, do you mean the Le Germain?
If so, I agree :)

snoopy12 Dec 30th, 2005 07:48 AM

The Gault...best hotel I have ever stayed at, anywhere!

deena Jan 20th, 2006 05:57 PM

The Gault is considered the best in Montreal. We stayed at the Vieux-Port in October. Kind of loud. We had drinks at the Nelligan and it seemed very nice. I would probably try the Nelligan next time.

onthegogo Jan 21st, 2006 12:46 PM

We stayed at Vieux-Port in October 04 and really liked it. Easy to walk to great restaurants (like Bonaparts)and not a bad walk to subway. The complimentary breakfast was good and the afternoon complimentary wine was great too. Our room was wonderful and the bathroom was very modern - with robes. The decor in the room was lovely. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The location is as close to on the waterfront as could be. However if you book there, make sure you indicate you want the hotel itself (that's where we stayed), as they have an 'annex'(?) that is used more for long term guests and includes a kitchenette...not what we wanted, but perhaps a family would have found it good. Anyway, we highly recommend, you can't go wrong with this place, but cannot compare it to the others. Quiet too. BTW, it was much, much, much nicer than the hotel room we had in Paris last October. However....who cares about hotel rooms when one is in Paris!!!!