Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Boutique hotel in Old Town? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/boutique-hotel-in-old-town-673531/)

ReddVelvet Jan 25th, 2007 12:44 AM

Boutique hotel in Old Town?

Have been to Montreal once before and would dearly love to stay this time in the heart of the old town. I remember where the Notre Dame is and I went to this fabulous famous jazz bar which I can't remember the name of but that is the area I would like to stay. Any hotel reccomendations? Love the quaint, charming places with character.

laverendrye Jan 25th, 2007 04:49 AM

You will find quite a few "boutique" hotels in Vieux Montréal, including the Place d'Armes, Nelligan, Gault, St.-Paul and XIXe Siecle. I haven't stayed at any of them, so I can't comment, but you will find many recommendations on this board for most of them.

Two places in Vieux Montréal where I have stayed, and would stay again, are the Auberge les Passants de Sans Soucy on Rue St-Paul, which is a very fine B&B, not a hotel as such. The other is the Auberge du Vieux Port, a hotel on rue de la Commune, overlooking the harbour. It also has a great restaurant, Les Ramparts.

Fairhope Jan 25th, 2007 05:02 AM

Stayed at the Nelligan shortly after it opened and it was great--particularly the staff. There is a full atrium and maybe rooms on the atrium are a little noisier. We stayed on the backside..

hdm Jan 25th, 2007 05:18 AM

Hotel Nelligan is on TA's top ten list. I've never stayed there but have stayed at one of the other top tens, the Hotel Saint Sulpice -- an absolutely lovely boutique suite hotel in the heart of Old Montreal.

ReddVelvet Jan 25th, 2007 10:59 AM

YOu guys are the best. Thanks so much for your suggestions. I did already try the Auberge Les Passants but they unfortunately have a 2 nite min. my stopover is only for 1 nite. Nelligan and Sulpice sounds great. Will check into them too. How about Auberge Bonaparte? Pierre du Calvet?

hdm Jan 25th, 2007 11:29 AM

I have a friend who loves Pierre du Calvet and thinks it's very romantic. I can see why she likes it but it's just not my style. It's very pretty, though. I've stayed at the Hotel XIXe Siecle and thought it was fine. You can't really go by me because I just got the cheapest available room since I was on my own. My room was on the first floor, looking out on to the parking lot. The room wasn't too small and had very high ceilings which made it seem even more spacious. Nice bathroom but nothing special. I didn't use the hotel diningroom but had coffee in the lobby every morning. It's not quite as 'in' Old Montreal as the others -- more or less on the border but that did make it a closer walk to both OM and downtown.

I'd suggest you check TA reviews on all of these. I'd guess they'll be mostly positive for all but they might help you make a decision.