Notices

Border Crossing - Calais

May 15th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Shannon

Border Crossing - Calais

We may driving our daughter to Pennslyvania in June to work at a camp. She has documentation that needs to be looked at by US Customs at the border. If we arrive there in the middle of the night, will there be anyone there to process her papers? I guess what I am trying to say, do they keep special hours for that, i.e., 9-5? As well, other than driving by car or flying, can anyone recommend another form of transport from Maine to PA or Maine to Newark?

May 19th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Ernie Hughes

Shannon,

We've crossed at Calais-St. Stephens many times and found the customs personnel on both sides to be polite and helpful. Unfortunately, Sept. 11 has had a real impact on crossing these days. The border at Calais is busy but not a large office. My recommendation is to go on the internet or call information and get the phone number and call US Customs in Calais directly. That will assure you of the most accurate answer. It's possible that they have the right people there some days but not others.

As far as travel from Maine to PA, if you eliminate driving and flying that pretty well limits it to bus or train. You should be able to get some accomodations in Bangor depending on your destination in PA. Going to Newark would probably require going to NYC and then taking a Port Authority bus to Newark. As an aside and with no offense intended, I don't know how old this young lady is, or how self relient, or how well traveled, but I would be very careful about sending her off to those areas on the train or a bus. NYC and Newark, NJ is not Nova Scotia. Good Luck.

Ernie

May 21st, 2002, 10:40 AM
LJ

Topping for Shannon: your repsonses seem to have split themselves in two: Ernie is very helpful, too. Good luck re: transfer, I have taken the bus from Augusta, Maine to Boston- I rather suspect that further travel would involve changing at Boston's Bus Terminal. Not a great place for an inexperienced traveller esp. if female travelling alone- sounds like car is your best bet-given complexity of alternatives.

May 21st, 2002, 07:28 PM
Shannon

Thanks Ernie and LJ for your replies. I have been examining options all week. I don't think we can drive her afterall. I have tentatively booked a flight for her from Hfx to Newark but there are problems involved with that so I have been examining Groundhound & Via more. I can get her to PA from Bangor quite reasonally by Greyhound - I may accompany her & continue on to a relative. My problem is getting to Bangor. The bus line here in Hfx only goes there on Friday & Sat., I want to leave for Bangor on Monday or Tuesday. Does anyone know of another bus line or shuttle service that goes to Bangor from the Maritimes.

Search this Thread