Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Border car info needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/border-car-info-needed-440447/)

trixi Jun 8th, 2004 02:10 PM

Border car info needed

Husband and I will be visiting our son in Ithaca, NY and MAY go to Niagara Falls for a few days. We will be renting a car in New York and since this trip to Canada is not certain I'd rather not say anything to the rental agency.

Soooo, if we do go to Canada will any car papers be checked? Is there some sort of car rental form needed to take a rental car into Canada? If I am returning the car to the same agency how will they know if the car took a little trip to Canada? Trust me the size and price of cars I rent will not have a tracking system installed.

Thank you for any replys.

gannetmusic Jun 8th, 2004 02:34 PM

If you think you might be going to Canada I suggest you advise the car rental company. Why not tell them?
If you did have a mishap in Canada and the rental agency had not granted permission I can see you having some serious liabilty issues.

Jerry

SusanInToronto Jun 8th, 2004 02:35 PM

I always hear that there may be a problem, but I've never experienced any problems at all going across the border in a rental car. We've rented a car dozens of times in BC and gone into Washington State almost every time. Never a problem.

maryann Jun 8th, 2004 02:35 PM

I sure wouldn't be sneaking into another country with a rental car. You did say you didn't want to tell them.

Having an accident in a place that the car co. does not even know about is not thinking.

Their ins. might not even cover themselves and you have to pay for it all.

Call the 800 # and ask, without telling them about your res.,see what they say.

We wanted to rent in NY to Montreal and had a hard time.

djkbooks Jun 8th, 2004 05:52 PM

Officials at the crossings will probably not be able to tell if your car is a rental, unless they run the plate number on their computer, whereupon you may be required to present a copy of a rental agreement which states that you have permission to take the vehicle across the border. Without that, you will not be allowed to take your little trip into Canada. I would guess that, these days, every plate is checked (what with terrorist threats, child abductions, sophisticated computer networks and data sharing...)

I can't imagine why you would withhold this information from your rental company. Except that they will provide you with the proper insurance coverage card, which is required if it is requested (of anyone, not just those driving a rental car), they will not likely care if you travel into Canada or not.

And, should your rental agreement not include permission to cross the border, if you are involved in an accident, you could be in for some serious problems.

What if the car is stolen or broken into (with damage) in Canada? Or, you simply experience mechanical difficulties?

bob_brown Jun 8th, 2004 08:13 PM

You are also required to have proof of insurance coverage when driving in Canada. The border officials have never asked me for proof, but I carry it just the same. My insurance agent sends me a little yellow card that I carry with me.

The top insurance claims adjustor in the Southeast region for my insurance company tells me I am covered in Canada.

If you drive a Canadian car into the US, I strongly recommend a letter from the rental company saying it knows you are driving out of Canada to the US.

I have gotten quizzed heavily twice because I was an Ameican driving a Canadian rental car.

waltd Jun 9th, 2004 07:33 AM

It's been my experience that most rental companies on both sides of the border doenot consider driving across the border as a big deal. I've done so from the US side from different of the major rental agencies and never had a problem. But certainly inquire when you obtain your rental. ALso, like Bob suggests, obtain a Canadian coverage card from your insurance company beforehand (it's free and will not affect your rates). If per chance you are asked for the car registration or whatever at the border, just hand them the rental agreement and you'll have no problems.

fireguy9 Jun 13th, 2004 04:20 PM

I just rented a car and told the agency that I was going to cross the border with the car and all they do is make a note of it and the duration approx in the rental agreement. Its no big deal and better tell them to cover yourself.

trixi Jun 14th, 2004 01:12 PM

Thanks for all the replys. I called the rental agency and was told it was not a problem to take the rental car into Canada and I did not need any special papers. But after reading your replys I will make sure I have my insurance card with me. For some reason my unlimited mileage goes down to 150 miles a day if I leave New York state???

Gavin Jun 14th, 2004 04:06 PM

It is very common for rental companies to put limits on the free distance travelled when the renter leaves the home area of the agency. Years ago somebody renting me a car in Toronto for business complained bitterly about people did unlimited free km trips to Florida.

By the way I would never assume that there is no tracking device in any rental car.

s6656 Jun 14th, 2004 04:33 PM

Based on Bob's advice, i told the rental agency in Vancouver,National. The staff just added these 4 word " ok to go US" in the rental agreement. We will be going to US from Calgary 3 days from now.