Boat from Victoria to Vancouver?

Aug 24th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Boat from Victoria to Vancouver?

Am I just missing this? I see car ferries that drop you off way south of Vancouver (we've done that before in reverse), and I see some from Nanaimo to West Vancouver. But if we have no car and would prefer not to get one, what's the easiest way to get from Victoria to Vancouver? Or are we always going to be faced with major logistics to and from the boats at either end? It seems surely there would be passenger service between the two, hopefully ending up right at the harbor in Vancouver. No?

EDIT: Oops, I searched before and didn't see it, but now I see a current post about busses that take you between the two including the car ferry part. So no need to repeat that information. But I'm still surprised there isn't a boat service for passengers directly between the two -- no?
Aug 24th, 2008, 09:18 AM

Yes, the PCL bus will take you from downtown Victoria to downtown Vancouver--the bus goes on the ferry so it's pretty seamless.
Aug 24th, 2008, 09:26 AM

Hi I responded before you edited your original post. Years ago there was a passenger ferry similar to the Victoria Clipper but that hasn't existed for quite a while now.

I have heard that there is a Prince of Whales whale watching tour that will take you from one city to the other via boat with a whale watch on the way but am not personally familiar with it.
Aug 24th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Funny thing you mention that Prince of Whales thing. I found that while Googling -- and it took me to Fodors. There it suggested you could do that. But when I went to the site, I found trips from either end, but none that would pick you up at one end and drop you off at the other.

I think the Pacific Coach sounds like an easier and better thing anyway, especially since it does take you from downtown to downtown.
Aug 24th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Did you look at this option?

http://www.princeofwhales.com/vancouver_tours_4.html

Aug 24th, 2008, 09:50 AM

"I'm....surprised there isn't a boat service for passengers directly between the two...."

The main issue is parking-where will all those passengers leave their cars?

Of course there's gamesmanship with the main operator-BC Ferries Corp-and a number of small operations have tried to start services and continue to try but operating costs are high and passenger loads are light off season-the money just isn't there to make it year round.

For those reading-Note that Prince of Whales isn't in the transportation business-they run tours and what you're buying is a tour-part of which is intercity transport.
Aug 24th, 2008, 10:00 AM
BAK

You can take a seaplane from Vancouver harbour to Victoria harbour.

Get a good map, and see how far a boat would have to travel to get from harbour to harbour. Geting around Stanley PArk and under the Lion's Gate Bridge is a big deal as far as currents go.

BAK
Aug 24th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

"The main issue is parking-where will all those passengers leave their cars?"

What cars? I guess I was foolishly thinking with the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of tourists to both Vancouver and to Victoria, that there would be enough market for such a service. Clearly my thinking was wrong. I stand corrected.

Aug 24th, 2008, 06:18 PM

The demand just isn't there yet. And it would take much longer than the 1.5 hour ferry between Swartz Bay and Tsawwassen.

"Geting around Stanley PArk and under the Lion's Gate Bridge is a big deal as far as currents go."

I've taken a tiny motorboat through Lion's Gate Bridge. Kayakers and Alaska cruise ships and freighters and yachts and paddlewheelers and all kinds of marine traffic casually saunter their way underneath the Lion's Gate Bridge and around Stanley Park.

The issue isn't the current... I think the issue is that there isn't enough demand. For those that want to sail from Vancouver to Victoria, they either charter their own private boat, or they cough up the extra money and take a half hour sea plane.
Aug 24th, 2008, 11:09 PM

Interesting question....

I think the ferries go the shortest route within acceptable driving distance from both cities. Tsawwassen is close to Vancouver and Swartz Bay isn't far from Victoria.

The ferries save a lot of time by cutting their route as short as possible, plus they save their passengers time, as driving is generally faster than the ferry. Also, they are less exposed to the elements by reducing the length of their trips and making a more direct run across the Strait of Georgia. It is definitely best to avoid the Strait as much as possible as it picks up high winds and waves.

Aug 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM

Well put Orcas.
Aug 31st, 2008, 03:27 PM

Is it out of the question to be car-less and still get from Vancouver to Victoria for sightseeing?
Aug 31st, 2008, 03:40 PM

JJ495
No it is not out of the question. Millions do. Use Pacific Coach Lines as suggested to transfer between the two, and local transport (BC Transit) within the two. Both have good websites.