Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Blomedin Inn, Wolfville? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/blomedin-inn-wolfville-630162/)

tglang Jul 11th, 2006 12:31 PM

Blomedin Inn, Wolfville?

Does anyone know anything about this inn???

Andiegirl Jul 17th, 2006 05:39 AM

Blomidon is both beautiful and so-so.

Stay in the OLD part of the inn, in the main house, above the dining room. There are just a few rooms there. It's definitely not worth the money to stay in the very ordinary motel-like rooms in the back. The old rooms are a little more expensive than the motel-type ones.

Alternatively, stay at Tattingstone Inn or Victoria's, where the rooms are consistently good, and around the same price as Blomidon.

tglang Jul 17th, 2006 07:09 AM

Thank you!! I checked out both web sites of your 2 recommendations and fell in love w/ Victorias. I did have a reservation in one of the 3 rooms above the inn ( the 2nd room in their photo gallery) for 179.00/night. It's my husband's 40th birthday ( and our 3rd wedding anniv.) so I want to make it special. Would you still recommend Victoria's over Blomidon's 3 nicer rooms? Is the grounds at Victoria's still as pretty? Also.. any recommendation for dining that evening? Again, a special place to celebrate his 40th.

tglang Jul 17th, 2006 08:05 AM

oops.. I meant I had a reservation already at Blomidon.. but they do have a 48 hour cancellation policy so not too late to cancel..

Andiegirl Jul 17th, 2006 09:02 AM

I don't know enough about Victoria's to recommend it over one of the special rooms at Blomidon -- sorry! For dining though, I'd recommend Acton's or Tempest. The food at the restaurant at Blomidon is nothing special, although the history/architecture of the room is lovely. Acton's and Tempest have great food, and I'd recommend both. I think they both have their menus on the web somewhere. Hope this is helpful. Post again if you have more questions!

tglang Jul 17th, 2006 11:39 AM

Thank you again! I'm just emailing Blomidon as we speak to find out if it is for sure one of the suites over the dining area. I've reserved so many rooms that they're starting to run together and on their web site I just realized they have no photos. I was already confused w/ the place I booked in Baddeck... (lynwood inn)... and that's the photo's I'm remembering. I will definitely take your advice on the restaurants. I think I saw where someone else recommended both of those rest. as well... and I already checked out the menus. Thanks for all your help!!!

etraveler Jul 17th, 2006 01:41 PM

Hi-
I agree with the other poster. My wife and I stayed at the Blomidon Inn Several years ago. Most of the rooms reminded us of a motel! The older part is much nicer. I can't remember much about where we ate...sorry.

Scotia Jul 17th, 2006 04:30 PM

I have eaten at The Tattingstone Inn twice and thought it was excellent. The Tempest has an unusal menu so suggest you check their website first to see if it appeals to you. Having said that, The Tempest has a jazz combo on Friday nights.

sailorgirl2001 Jul 18th, 2006 04:03 AM

For a very special dinner, go to the restaurant at Grand Pre Vineyards, just outside of Wolfville. I ate there for the first time last week and I would highly, highly, highly recommend it!! The food is outstanding and the service is perfect. You can either eat inside or outside on the pergola overlooking the vineyards and the Minas Basin in the distance. Note, the outside was a big buggy later int he evening, but we did endure and had a relaxing drink after dinner. They are open for both lunch and dinner. www.grandprewines.com

giovana Jul 19th, 2006 12:44 PM

I would also highly, highly recommend the Grand Pre restaurant. It also has lovely grounds.

tglang Jul 20th, 2006 04:31 AM

Thank you all! I cancelled Blomidon after researching this site along w/ trip advisor and saw too many negatives for Blomidon and NONE for Victoria's. Made our reservation there. I also checked the web site for The Grand Pre and want to thank all of you because it looks great! I'm sure we will enjoy it.
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR POSTINGS!