Reload this Page >

Restaurants favored by Montrealers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:47 PM
teener

We will be spending a week in Montreal in August. Can any of you Montrealers give me some recommendations for restaurants that we don't see in the guidebooks? We love any kind of food. <BR>Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Brian Kilgore

Montrealers eat in the restaurants that get into the guide books.<BR><BR>If it is not good enough for the books, it is not good enough for Montrealers.<BR><BR>The exceptioons, of course, are the brand new places that are not yet listed.<BR><BR>And prehaps others can help on these.<BR><BR>Of those in the books, Ben's Deli (inexpensive) and Chez la Mere Michel and The Beaver Club in the Queen Elizabeth (expensive) are favorites of mine.<BR><BR>BAK

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 04:32 PM
tutu

We just returned from Montreal last w/e and had some wonderful meals. Can highly recommend Laloux (upscale French & almost as good as Toque) at 250 Pins St. East. Also, for scrumptious breakfast/brunch, try Petit Alep on Jean Talon near the J-T market - delicious omelettes. Tried to get in at L'Express on St. Denis but they were fully booked all w/e. Wise to make reservations in advance. I gather Zen in the Omni Hotel has superb Chinese food - not the usual sweet and sour stuff! It's an easy city to party, so enjoy.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Daniel Williams

Actually I disagree with BAK here. Montrealers are a diverse lot; some go to the tried-and-true, many are more adventurous. When I lived in Montreal, my friends and I always prided ourselves on "finds", jewels of restaurants discovered on our own, some new, some been around for awhile; I'm amazed how rarely I see my favorites get ANY guidebook mention (fine by me). I don't even know half the restaurants on Fodor's Rants and Raves list and I feel like I've been to a ton of restaurants in Montreal. Truth be said, there are so many superlative restaurants in Montreal, that guidebooks really only are overviews.<BR><BR>Here are a few that may not get much mention in your books as they're off the tourist beaten path: La Raclette on Gilford for great swiss; Wakomono on Mont-Royal for top-notch sushi; Obento just south of Guy-Concordia metro for Japanese (killer tempura); Ganges all the way out in NDG on (is it?) Monkland (taxi from Vendome metro or catch the (106?)bus) is the best Indian I've had in the city. <BR><BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 04:14 PM
teener

Thanks for the suggestions. I love finding great restaurants on vacation.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:34 PM
Robyn

Hi teener,<BR><BR>I don't know if you saw it, but I posted a link the other day about NYC food critic "Fat Guy" Steven Shaw. He's been travelling through Canada from west to east, and he had nothing but praise for Montreal.<BR><BR>Here's the link in case you missed it. You might find it entertaining to say the least! And it'll give you an idea of Montreal's vibe. <BR><BR>http://www.canada.com/national/features/fatguy/

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Elector

Another good place to eat and I have been going to on a regular basis on yearly vacations are Chez Ennio at 1978 DeMassioneue Blvd. its cozy and quiet. No smoking nor liquor liscense. But a great place to spend a relaxing time with your loved ones or even by yourself.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:25 AM
teener

Robyn, Got the Fat Guy article. thanks

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:20 AM
jj

Do Monrealers agree with Epicurious.com's recommendations this week for recommended restaurants in Montreal?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:58 AM
Louis

I checked Epicurious.com. The few restaurants that they mention are indeed good. I would add:<BR><BR>Le Petit Extra (French Bistro, 1690 rue Ontario est). Just as good as L'Express but less cramped.<BR><BR>Chez Laloux (French bistro, 250 av. Des Pins est).<BR>