Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Biking and wine tour trip to Niagara...where should we stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Niagara Falls area for Memorial Day weekend. We would like to bring our bicycles, investigate the Botanical Gardens, enjoy a wine tour or two and evening walks. Any suggestions for where we should stay? Places to dine? With the bikes would we be better off away from the Fallsview hotels? If we stay in the NOTL area for the biking would we find ourselves driving to the falls area every night for dinner?<BR><BR>Anxious to make reservations soon. Thanks, Patricia
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 10:55 AM

Patricia,<BR><BR>I'm going to Niagara in June and staying at NOTL. I've done some research, and there are many, many, many places to eat at NOTL, both fast food and fine/gourmet dining. Plenty of nice B&amp;B's in the area, and it is close to the wineries. Here's their website. Check it our for yourself before you make a decision. We are just going to spend maybe a few hours by the falls themselves, and the rest of the time in NOTL/wineries, etc.<BR><BR>http://www.niagaraonthelake.com/
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 12:20 PM
JMM

There is a bike path along side the parkway that runs between NOTL and Niagara Falls
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 03:29 PM

Check out the South Landing Inn in Queenston about half way between NOTL and The Falls. We've stayed there many times. From the outside, looks like a standard motel, but rooms are country inn gorgeous and comfortable. As someone has already mentioned, the bike path along the parkway is absolutely spectacular (and mostly flat).<BR><BR>You can fill out at inquiry at www.niagaraonthelakes.com or www.shawfest.com with your preferences and you will receive wonderful recommendations for lodging. NOTL is chock full of wonderful restaurants.<BR><BR>Around the Falls, any of the Parks restaurants (Queenston Heights, Table Rock, Victoria Park - see their website) have fabulous menus with reasonable prices (especially considering the exchange rate) and fantastic views. The early bird menus are a steal. <BR><BR>There's a very steep hill between the Falls and the hotels on Fallsview Boulevard. Not a problem, though, if you're young and/or energetic. Good place to shop for lodging at those is www.niagarafallslive.com where I've always found terrific rates, compared to other resources, including directly with the hotels.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 06:49 PM
mkd

In my 20 plus years of traveling to NOTL for theater, biking and winery tours, the better course is to stay in NOTl rather than the Falls. NOTL is busy (not FAlls busy, but still busy) and very pretty. If you go in June, it is not as busy as July and August. The Old Bank House is a very nice B&amp; B overlooking Lake Ontario and the Kiely Inn is also nice, if you are looking for quiet, old world accommodations-not corporate &quot;INN&quot; sameness. Of late, my family books the whole house at Andreas'Victorian Villa, on Victoria Street. which gives you three bedrooms, two baths and a place of your own. The restaurant at Hillebrands winery is quite good, and in NOTL I would recommend the restaurant at the Kiely Inn, which my amateur chef husband found to be inventive and not overpriced. <BR><BR>