Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Beware Montreal Dorval Airport Ripoff (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/beware-montreal-dorval-airport-ripoff-80391/)

Mike Miller Jul 23rd, 2000 09:37 AM

Beware Montreal Dorval Airport Ripoff

Travelers leaving Dorval are required to pay a $10 (cn)each exit fee after you clear customs. It was a rude and unexpected charge.

Susan Jul 23rd, 2000 01:31 PM

That's actually not that uncommon. Most airports seem to levy an 'airport improvement fee' nowadays. I was just in Vancouver 2 weeks ago and they've got the same $10 fee as in Dorval. Unfortunately when the improvements are completed (like in Vancouver), they don't seem to remove the charge! I know the Dorval fee has been around for a few months - I go there on business and I believe I paid it last year as well.

nat Jul 26th, 2000 05:02 AM

just another canadian tax, like we are not taxed enough. should fire them all.

Bob Jul 28th, 2000 01:41 PM

Such fees are always unpleasant and unexpected. In some airports elsewhere in Canada, and around the world, you find them but they are hidden in with the ticket price when booking through a travel agent, so you just don't notice them.

Daniel Williams Jul 28th, 2000 02:45 PM

Thank goodness we have this forum, so that now at least Fodorites will expect the fee! I don't know why they don't include it in the price of the ticket like some other places do. But you know, there have been a lot of improvements at Dorval, which had to change dramatically with the shift of all international flights from Mirabel to Dorval. <BR> <BR>Frankly, you know, it *gasp* doesn't bother me to pay it! I don't find it rude really, no more than a toll...It's a user fee...and let's just hope that it really is going to improve the quality of the airport. <BR> <BR>Knowledge is power.

Daniel Williams Jul 28th, 2000 02:45 PM

Thank goodness we have this forum, so that now at least Fodorites will expect the fee! I don't know why they don't include it in the price of the ticket like some other places do. But you know, there have been a lot of improvements at Dorval, which had to change dramatically with the shift of all international flights from Mirabel to Dorval. <BR> <BR>Frankly, you know, it *gasp* doesn't bother me to pay it! I don't find it rude really, no more than a toll...It's a user fee...and let's just hope that it really is going to improve the quality of the airport. <BR> <BR>Knowledge is power.

Vic Osaki Jul 28th, 2000 05:43 PM

You can get your 10 bucks back and more by reclaiming the GST on your room bill. Canada is the only country that I'm aware of the refunds GST on hotel rooms and practically everything else expect for food and services.

Nevcharlie Mar 12th, 2001 02:49 PM

Just curious, can anyone explain the boarding arrangements at Mirabel Airport, where instead of the normal piers, strange buses rather like a tundra-buggy back up to the terminal building, load the passengers and then lower themselves to ground-level before trundling off to the aircraft some distance away and repeating the process in reverse ? <BR>I don't know how baggage is handled. <BR>Both times I used the airport it was dark, so I was unable to see all the details...it seems a strange system to me. <BR>BTW, I found the Airbus used by Canada 3000 to be a little roomier than other transatlantic flights I've been on.

Rudy Mar 28th, 2001 11:53 PM

<BR>Thank God for Canada and their tax refunds. <BR> <BR>I'm waiting for the return of those "port charges" the islands impose on you for spending your money there. <BR> <BR>rdy