Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   BETTER IN JULY? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/better-in-july-276809/)

LINDA CUNNINGHAM Dec 1st, 2002 09:32 AM

BETTER IN JULY?

WOULD A 2 WEEK VACATION BE BETTER IN JULY? I UNDERSTAND IT GETS VERY CROWDED/NEED TO MAKE RESERVATIONS WELL IN ADVANCE, ETC. I WOULD RATHER HAVE GREAT WEATHER SO WE COULD GET OUTDOORS/HIKE,KAYAK,WHALE WATCH, ETC. MAYBE IT WOULD BE WORTH THE CROWDS THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

Iamcanadian Dec 1st, 2002 10:00 AM

Well, where do you want to vacation?

linda cunningham Dec 1st, 2002 02:08 PM

nova scotia/we are having a hard time trying to decide when to go/we had planned to go in june but seems everyone thinks the weather will be a factor-too cold,rainy,foggy. we were trying to avoid the crowds. thanks

Molly Dec 1st, 2002 02:53 PM

Yes, there are no guarantees, but chances are that the weather will be better in July than June.<BR><BR>Compared to most popular travel destinations,I have never found Nova Scotia particularly crowded, even in mid-summer. The Skyline Trail, on the Cabot Trail, is well-traveled during this period and the town of Baddeck is also busy, but not terribly so. I wouldn't worry about crowds.

Liz Dec 1st, 2002 03:16 PM

I agree with Molly: don't worry about crowds in Nova Scotia. We were amazed at how un-crowded NS was, even in August.

Susan Dec 1st, 2002 05:07 PM

Hi, Linda! Book your trip for the last 2 weeks in July. Weather will be great @ that time. Book your hotels asap.

Tanya Dec 2nd, 2002 04:32 AM

July is the best month. The weather is usually hot during the day and cooler in the evening. Lots of places to hike - Cabot Trail probably the most famous. Nova Scotia has a series of trails. You may want to try Cape Chignector Provincial Park and visit Three Sisters rock formation. Also the Cape d'Or lighthouse park.<BR><BR>As for whale watching, Digby Neck in the southern end of the province, Pleasant Bay/Cheticamp on the Cabot Trail and Halifax are three good spots to take tours from. You can also kayak in most spots. I know there are a couple of companies that do kayak tours out of Halifax that include lunch, etc.<BR><BR>Hope you enjoy your trip!

duke Dec 3rd, 2002 03:28 AM

I lived in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia for several years and always advised friends and family to visit late July thru spt for the most fog/rain free vacation.

LINDA CUNNINGHAM Dec 3rd, 2002 04:37 PM

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR THE ADVICE/I SCHEDULED 2 WEEKS STARTING JULY 20. IS IT ESSENTIAL TO MAKE HOTEL RESERVATIONS? I UNDERSTAND NOVA SCOTIA HAS A 800 NUMBER YOU CAN CALL FOR LAST MINUTE RESERVATIONS. I WILL MAKE RESERVATION SOMEWHERE? IN CAPE BRETON SINCE WE WILL BE STAYING THERE FOR 5 NIGHTS(IS THIS ENOUGH TIME?) THANKS AGAIN

Michelle Dec 3rd, 2002 04:44 PM

You have selected the absolute best time to visit NS IMHO! The downside is that b/c it is the best time the better hotels are booked well in advance. Make your reservations now! Call NS Tourism &amp; get their Guide called something like &quot;Doers &amp; Dreamers&quot;.

Molly Dec 3rd, 2002 05:43 PM

Hi again, Linda. You can book most accommodations, including b&amp;bs and inns with one phone call through their toll-free number. A good first step is to send for the guide mentioned above which will allow you to read about and compare accommodations. <BR><BR>I usually book {b&amp;bs and inns} early in the year, Jan. or Feb. Some innkeepers seem surprised, but I have been disappointed in some instances even booking this early,with some of the more popular rooms already taken.<BR><BR>Five days is enough time.

Tanya Dec 8th, 2002 02:29 AM

This year we centered ourselves in Baddeck for a few nights. It worked out well. We rented a 3-bedroom, 1.5 bath house for $169/night plus taxes. It is called the MacRae house and while it isn't advertised, you can make reservations through the Telegraph House. The house is lovely and has all amenities. The owners live next door and are very hospitable. If you are in Cape Breton for five days I would highly recommend seeing Louisbourg. In Baddeck, go out on the Loch Breagh (motor yacht) for a tour. The captain will give you an inside scoop on Alexander Graham Bell and his living relatives. And the Bell museum is very inspiring as well.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip!